The third trial

< Oh God, look at this ! We reached chapter 60 ! And the 10k views ! That's so awesome ! I'm so happy ( ^^)
So, as you might have understood, I decided to ship Tenten x Gaara. It came to me like this, I didn't plan it. I think this will keep happening. Of course, I'm open to all suggestions but otherwise, even I don't know yet what the pairings will be. Which happens to be incredibly funny.
I still have many surprises in store for you guys so keep reading, it only gets more interesting from now on !>

_______

Higure was watching his girlfriend with a little smile : the girl was absolutely elated and he felt happy as well. The reason obviously was the recent development of the relationship between two of their best friends. Not that they could tell them, they would probably be mad at them for eavesdropping. In the worst case, they could always say Kurama-dono and Kakashi-sensei were the ones to get them in on it (which was the truth).

All the Uzushio nin were waiting in their common room for Koan to give them the rules of their next mission. He knew for a fact that Tamamo was dealing with Konoha and Inari was in charge of Suna. Kāyô, Yako and Zenko probably were with either Kiri, Kumo or Iwa. And if he remembered well, it was Daji who was taking care of Taki.

He briefly wondered if the Kitsune summons would play any other part in the tournament but quickly dismissed the thought as Koan finally showed up.

" - Greetings, everyone. Let's not beat around the bush, alright ?

They all nodded and the Kitsune continued :

- Great. Now, the third part of the tournament is a solo ordeal - if Kurama-sama saw you all sighing in relief, you know she would be mad.

- Well, yeah but that's really been such a hassle...

- This trial won't be easier. This time, you will be left in various locations in the swamps on the outskirts of Kirigakure and you'll have to survive in there for a whole week.
For a hundred and sixty-eight hours, you will be forbidden from contacting or interacting in any way with other shinobi.

- And where's the catch ?

- Yeah, let's be honest, this is way too easy. We've all been on missions such as this and this is child's play by now.

- Who's going to come after us ?

Koan smirked. Those children had no idea what they had gotten themselves into.

- Well, Kurama-sama and Mizukage-sama thought it would be way too easy if wild animals were the only creatures to attack you. So they proposed they and the other Kage tasked their summons and other "friends" with taking care of you guys.

It took five seconds for the information to sink in.

- NO WAY !!!

- Is that for real ?!

- That's a lot less funny all of a sudden...

- We're going to be chased by the Kitsune...

- I never thought I'd have to go against any of you one day.

- Now now, don't fret so much. You don't have to fight against us. If you can elude us that is. The main point of the mission is to survive and bland in. You'll want to go unnoticed by yours pursuers. If you manage to stay under the radar for seven days, it's your victory. But if one of us catches sight of you, make sure you run fast. You can of course fight back and try to take us out but at your own risks. All the summons will introduce themselves at the beginning of the trial and this point will be further explained then. Any questions ?"

They all shook their heads so the Kitsune bid them goodbye before disappearing. Since it was 4 A.M and they had slept for six hours already, they all decided to talk about strategies together. Being on their own during the mission didn't mean they were enemies so they could totally prepare this together !

* 4 hours later, swamp *

All the Kage stood in front of the participants. Mei took the lead as it was an event held by her village and thus her initiative.

" - Welcome everyone, I'm glad to see all of you here. Now, here are some details about the upcoming trial. First of all, there are five categories you may fit in by the end of the survival mission : Unnoticed, Survived, Knocked out, Crippled or Dead. Only fitting in the first two will allow you reach the next part of the tournament. Minor injuries that barely diminish your ability to fight are included in survival. If a contestant is injured to the point their injuries need immediate medical care, they will be disqualified and tended to. If a contestant is knocked out, the contestant will be disqualified as well. And of course, you are all participating at your own risks so we take no responsibility for the deaths that might occur. Is that all clear ?

After everyone nodded in approval, Mei went through some hand signs and eight lava golems appeared in front of her. One by one, all the Kage did the same : Sand golems, lighting beasts, Kitsune... Many creatures were now lining up in front of everyone. Since Tsunade didn't have a battle summon, it was Jiraiya who summoned his toads.
In the end, a total of fifty-six summons stood there.
Mei resumed her presentation while showing the summons.

- As you've already been told, summons and creatures made by each Kage or their close advisor will be tracking you down during the next days. They can attack any of you and have been specifically instructed not to target or avoid anyone. Surveillance will allow us to ensure this so this trial will be as fair as possible.
One last thing : you've been instructed never to interact or contact any other contestant. That means you may not ask for help, but you're not allowed to attack each other either. Any violation of this rule will result in disqualification. That's all.

The shinobi stepped inside the teleportation seal as they were asked to and then got randomly dispatched all around the swamp.
And all of a sudden, a pained scream echoed in the mist.
Those of them that hadn't hidden yet quickly did so, finally understanding they had no time to stay idle and take in the scenery.

It finally dawned on them that the swamp's eerie setting was playing against them, sounds echoing all around them, seemingly coming from all and no direction at the same time. The fog was heavy and trees could take uncanny shapes. The damp of the air felt heavy on their shoulders and inside their lungs.
Like an instinct, they all felt it - this primal urge to flee, to run away from this place in which they didn't belong.

However, they had no such option. Koan's words echoed through Higure's mind.

" So that's what he meant by 'blanding in'. We are foreigners here and our only chance to survive is to make it so we're no longer seen as invaders, but as a part of the ecosystem. If we don't belong, we'll be rejected and attacked for sure."

Back at the outskirts of the swamp, the summons were standing on the seal and as eight o'clock stroke-

- Begin."