𝟗: 𝐛𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐡𝐝𝐚𝐲 𝐬𝐮𝐫𝐩𝐫𝐢𝐬𝐞𝐬 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐧𝐨 𝐝𝐢𝐬𝐠𝐮𝐢𝐬𝐞𝐬

𝐉𝐮𝐥𝐲 𝟒𝐭𝐡, 𝟏𝟗𝟗𝟖 || 𝐒𝐚𝐧𝐭𝐚 𝐌𝐨𝐧𝐢𝐜𝐚, 𝐂𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐧𝐢𝐚

❦❦❦

"Are you sure this is going to work?" I asked Yasmine while I tied a purple balloon to a string. "She already suspected that you guys are setting something up for her."

"Yeah but she doesn't know that you're helping us which works in our favor," she winked.

I got in contact with Yasmine about Amaya's birthday to see if she was doing anything particular for her. Just like Amaya said, she was. Instead of hosting the party at Yasmine's place like she told me she did every year, I decided to ask John for the café. He instantly accepted my proposal and shut down the café for the whole day, giving us time to set up for the party. I was a bit anxious, though. I knew that a few of Amaya's college friends were going to come but I had no clue on who they were. I didn't want the party to end up being a tabloid frenzy because of someone leaking my location.

"Hey Yasmine," I called. She turned around and raised a brow at me. "Is it cool if... I just stay on the sidelines and not interact with anyone? I don't want this party to get too chaotic."

"Amaya wouldn't want that," she giggled. "She'd want you to feel as normal as possible. Besides, the people I'm inviting already know about you and Amaya's friendship."

"They do?!" my eyes widened.

"Mhm, everyone watches gossip channels silly. Her outfit was a dead giveaway, they've seen her in it plenty of times," Yasmine chuckled. "So don't worry about a thing, you can trust us. No one's mentioned it to her because they don't want to make her uncomfortable."

A smile formed upon my lips as I uttered the words, "Thank you."

We finished setting up around noon and shortly after, Reese and about seven other people entered the café. Yasmine walked over and greeted them all before introducing me.

"Okay everyone. This is Michael, Amaya's second best friend," she emphasized which caused me to chuckle. "Michael, these are our friends. This is Emily, Emmanuel, Wayne, Piper, Sandra, Benny, and Reyna," she pointed respectfully.

"It's nice to meet you all," I greeted.

"Likewise," a few said while a few others waved with large smiles.

"So when will Amaya be coming?" Wayne asked.

"She's coming in about thirty minutes, Mel is keeping her busy at the moment," Reese informed us. He looked up at me and gave me an awkward head nod. Internally, I laughed because our interactions with each other have been quite weird. I smiled and waved at him which made Yasmine chuckle a bit too. I guess Amaya told her about what happened which I'm not surprised, they are best friends. My cellphone began to ring and I excused myself before walking over to an empty corner.