𝟏𝟑: 𝐬𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐨𝐮𝐬 𝐞𝐟𝐟𝐞𝐜𝐭

Listen to 'Serious Effect' by Michael Jackson (Song above )

𝐀𝐮𝐠𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝟏𝟓𝐭𝐡, 𝟏𝟗𝟗𝟖 || 𝐔𝐧𝐢𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐬𝐢𝐭𝐲 𝐨𝐟 𝐂𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐧𝐢𝐚, 𝐋𝐨𝐬 𝐀𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐥𝐞𝐬 - 𝐋𝐚𝐛𝐨𝐫𝐚𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐲

❦❦❦

My first day back at college was a shit show.

I decided to take some time off considering the blowout that I had unintentionally caused a week ago. Not only did I receive unwanted stares and glares from people on campus, but I also encountered some unexpected paparazzi on the way to my last class. Luckily, I wore shades today so that the painful flashes wouldn't be too overbearing. I didn't bother to call Michael about it because it's pretty much what we both expected it to be and the only thing he informed me to do was to never say a word, even if I was tempted to.

The rude, disrespectful things they'd chant just to get a rise out of you was almost like a test. They had stooped so low, to the point where I heard one of them call me a 'whore'. Not going to lie, that one definitely made my head turn but as I looked at the man holding the camera, I couldn't do anything but smile. Sure, I wanted to snatch that damned camera from his hands and smash it to pieces but I had to keep a level head for not only myself, but for Michael.

Today was Friday and I usually use my Fridays to study for any tests or labs that I have coming up. I went to an empty lab room and started working on an experiment that I had yet to finish.

"That... doesn't make sense," I mumbled to myself as I watched the chemicals cause no reaction.

"It reached a state of equilibrium," a familiar voice stated. "Those two chemicals do create a reaction but-"

The voice stopped speaking and I heard footsteps creep behind me. An oh so familiar hand reached out and turned up the temperature by just one degree on my test tube heater. Soon, the chemicals started to bubble and my mouth slightly parted.

"It just has to be set at the right temperature," Reese said, his voice reduced to a whisper.

"I-I didn't need your help," I huffed before jotting down a few notes.

"Seems to me like you did. You looked a bit confused so I decided to help you."

"Are we still talking about Chemistry?"

"Ours, yes."

I rolled my eyes before turning off the heater and cleaning out my test tubes. I swear, if it's not one thing, it's another.