𝟐𝟖: 𝐰𝐚𝐤𝐞 𝐮𝐩

𝐌𝐚𝐲 𝟏𝟑𝐭𝐡, 𝟏𝟗𝟗𝟗 || 𝐋𝐨𝐬 𝐎𝐥𝐢𝐯𝐨𝐬, 𝐂𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐧𝐢𝐚 - 𝐍𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐥𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐑𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐡

𝐍𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐥𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐑𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐡

❦❦❦

I had no luck in finding Melissa.

After spending countless hours searching along the streets of Santa Monica, I had come to the realization that maybe Melissa didn't want to be found. Whenever our mother would come home, Mel would purposefully stay out of the house just to avoid her. However, she would never stay out for multiple nights.

"Baby," Michael called while rubbing my back in circular motions. We've been in bed for about an hour and he's been trying to soothe me to sleep but with no success. "She'll come home I'm sure of it."

"Not if mom is there," I shook my head before letting out a sigh. "I know she's a grown woman and she can handle herself but-"

"It'll be fine Sparkles," Michael whispered before peppering kisses along my neck. "I just want just want you to get some rest."

"I can't rest not knowing where she is Michael," I sighed before slowly closing my eyes. I know that the state of resting was creeping onto me but I tried my damnedest to fight it. However, like most things in my life, sleep trumped over me and I found myself being consumed by darkness.

My rested state was short lived the moment I heard my cellphone ringer go off. My eyes shot open and I immediately reached for my cellphone. I sat up and fixed my disheveled robe, trying not to wake Michael from his slumber.

"H-Hello?" I whispered into the phone.

"Is this Amaya Montgomery?" I heard an unfamiliar voice ask.

"Y-Yes this is she," I replied, letting out a small yawn. "Who am I speaking with?"

"Dr. Ramey Issac," the man answered. "I'm calling from UCLA Santa Monica Medical Center in regards of your sister, Melissa Montgomery. There's no easy way to say this but your sister has overdosed and is currently in a comatose. I would like for..."

His words fizzled out into nothingness and I immediately hung up the call and rushed over to the closet to pick out something to wear. Tears immediately streamed down my cheeks, small whimpers escaping my lips.

Michael is an extremely light sleeper so I wasn't surprised when I saw the nightstand light flicker on from the corner of my eye.

"Baby," Michael voiced deeply. "What's going on?"

"I have to go to the hospital," I answered simply. I haven't told Michael about Melissa's prior drug addiction simply because it wasn't my place to do so.

Hell, it still isn't.

"Hospital?! Baby are you alright?!" he questioned before grabbing ahold of my hand and turning me around to face him. The moment he saw my tears, he frowned and gently placed his large hand on my cheek. "Why are you crying sweetheart?"