Chapter 9: The Morningstar Demon

Kaoi: Rem was the one that killed me! She was the one who killed Teruo!

Kaoi: I got the feeling that you never liked me but I would never expect you to go this far Rem.

Rem: If you do not resist, I can make your death painless

Kaoi: Yeah that's not going to happen. Now how about telling me why the hell you're doing this?

Rem: If someone seems suspicious, punish them. This is the rule of maids.

Kaoi: So did Roswaal put you up to this? Does Ram even know?

Rem: No. As much as it pains me to disobey Master Roswaal's orders. You are a threat to the mansion and I intend to finish this before my sister sees anything.

Kaoi: I see.

Kaoi: So they were never in any danger at all. It was just me and Teruo.

Kaoi: Well regardless I can't allow you to act as you please. I won't be going down without a fight.

Rem: Then you will die screaming.

The blue maid pulls on the chain calling the morningstar's head to her. Kaoi dodges and quickly holds out his hands.

Kaoi: Shamak!

Balck smoke erupts, obscuring Rem's vision as Kaoi runs into the woods. With a single whip of her morningstar, the black smoke is dispelled and Rem starts to pursue him.

Rem: Come Back!

Kaoi: Seems like I won't be able to blind her with that thing in her hands.

Dodging any strike Rem made with her weapon, the sound of trees breaking can be heard as Kaoi formulates a plan.

Kaoi: She got me good! With that ball and chain weapon of hers, she has a wide range of attack and I can't get close to her. Somehow without Total Concentration Breathing, she can swing that thing with ease and efficiency. Thus, my best bet is to destroy it!

Rem: El Huma!

Ice spears shoot out of Rem's hands.

Kaoi: She can use ice attacks too!

Kaoi: Flame Breathing Fourth Form: Blooming Flame Undulation

Swinging the blade circular allowed Kaoi to melt the spears before they reached him.

Rem: Never again will you hurt Sister, Witch Cultist!

Kaoi: Witch Cultist! Look I don't know who told you that but my family has only worshiped the Great Dragon for generations.

Rem: Don't play dumb! Your bald-faced lies can only take you so far when the witch's scent lies so thickly upon you!

Kaoi: What?!

Rem: When I watched you conversing with my sister, I felt as if I would go mad with anger and unrest. Someone associated with the one who has caused my sister so much agony, boldly encroaching on the place in which she and I belong...

Kaoi: Is that why she had been silently hostile towards me?

The two combatants stop for a moment and Kaoi could finally see for the first time the anger on Rem's face. How her eyes glared at him with content.

Rem: I can't bear it any longer. Even if I know my sister only acts friendly with you, and only pretends to care for you!

This nearly broke Kaoi's heart in two. The look of betrayal spreads across his face.

Kaoi: Ram was only pretending? Even all those times where I thought we got along...

Rem, seeing an opening of attack, launches her morningstar at Kaoi's side.