Chapter 32: Rengoku's Last Smile

Moving as fast as he could, Kaoi makes a leap and manages to grab hold of Tanjiro's haori and the engineer's torso.

[Crash!]

The mugen train fully derailed when it hit the dirt. Coming into a slow but destructive stop.

With no safe platform to land on. Kaoi brace himself as he aims for one of the flesh piles left by Enmu. It was rough but Kaoi was able to land safely with Tanjiro and the engineer in tow.

After putting the two down Kaoi looks at the wreckage upon him.

Kaoi: It looks bad. I hope Rengoku-sama and the others were able to save everyone from the crash.

Tanjiro: [coughs] Kaoi-san?

Kaoi: Kamado-kun!

Kaoi kneels down to check on the sword fighter who seems to struggle to move.

Tanjiro: That engineer... is he alright?

Kaoi: The engineer is fine.

Tanjiro: That's... good...

Inosuke: Santaro!

Both of them turn their heads to Inosuke as he rushes to aid his underling.

Inosuke: You see me bounce off that demon's flesh just now? Wait! What am I saying? Are you alright!

Tanjiro: I'm-I'm all right. What about you?

Inosuke: I've never felt better.

Kaoi: I'm fine as well but Kamado-kun what happened? You don't seem to be able to move.

Tanjiro: It is a repercussion of.... switching into the Hinokami Kagura. After use... my body is rendered immoble.

Kaoi: I see. Hashibira-kun can you go check to see that everyone is okay. I'll stay behind and look after Kamado-kun.

Inosuke: [growls] Fine! You better take care of my underling, Glass Eyes!

With that Inosuke goes off to check upon the passengers.

Kaoi: Now Kamado-kun, focus your breathing, if you can keep it steady then you can move to a degree.

Tanjiro: I will try, Kaoi-san.

As Tanjiro regulates his breathing Kaoi goes into his thoughts again.

Kaoi: The Hinokami Kagura. That was like nothing I've seen before. To think a technique so powerful would be hidden with a family dance. Could his ancestor have been a demon slayer?

A few moments later Tanjiro was able to get up.

Kaoi: There we go.

Rengoku: You've mastered Total Concentration, Constant. That's quite impressive.

Tanjiro/Kaoi: Rengoku-san/sama.

Rengoku: You're one step closer to being a hashira. That's one step out of ten thousand mind you.

Tanjiro: I'll do my best.

Rengoku: Mastering your breathing will open many doors for you. Now, it won't solve everything, but it will help. You will continue to grow stronger. Both of you.

Tanjiro: Thank you.

Rengoku: [chuckles]

Kaoi: [relieved sigh]

Rengoku: As for the others, there are many who are injured, but they're safe for the time being.

Kaoi: So don't strain yourself. Make sure to rest up.