Chapter 28: Snow White Terror

Kaoi: [groans]

The demon slayer once again finds himself lying on the floor. Unlike last time, however, he made no action to move from the floor.

Kaoi: ...

Emilia: No... You're wrong! It wasn't me!

Kaoi: !

It was until he was reminded by Emilia's cries that there was someone here. Someone that was in need of help. It pushed Kaoi to lift himself from the floor and walked over to the crying Emilia.

However, Kaoi did not call out to Emilia. Did not offer words of comfort. Only holding her in his arms as he gently strokes her head in silence.

Time Skip

Events went similarly to that of the first loop so to speak. Kaoi mostly and strangely silent throughout the following conversation. Only speaking in response to questions. Now he stands outside the house while Rem put Emilia to rest and Ram checking up on Roswaal.

Kaoi: I suppose I will have to talk to Roswaal this time around. I managed to avoid talking to him last time but after what happened...

Otto: Mister Kaoi?

Kaoi: If anyone knows the context around Beatrice and that gospel it would be him.

Otto: Kaoi Sir, are you listening?

Kaoi: Huh?

Snapping out of his thoughts Kaoi's eyes lays upon the green merchant.

Kaoi: Oh! Otto! Sorry. Is there something you wish to speak to me about?

Otto: Nothing serious. I was just wondering if you are all right?

Kaoi: Well, Otto I am good. Just been out of sorts but I'll be fine by tomorrow.

Otto: Oh, okay. That's a relief. I was getting a bit worried.

Kaoi: How so?

Otto: Well, Kaoi Sir-

Kaoi: Please, Otto. I'm no knight so there's no need for formalities. Kaoi will do just fine.

Otto: Um... Okay, Kaoi, it was just ever since you exited the graveyard with Miss Emilia. You were acting despondent. I grew more worried when I noticed your expression turned glass-eyed.

Kaoi: Glass-eyed?

Looking at a nearby window. Kaoi saw that upon the reflective surface that what Otto says is indeed true.

It was honestly strange. Despite the face reflecting still being his face. The expression upon it made Kaoi almost not being able to recognize himself. Devoid of all emotion, his eyes dulled, and honestly it kinda reminded him of...

Kaoi: Tokito-san?

Otto: Who?

Remembering that he was speaking to Otto, Kaoi shook his head and returned to the conversation.

Kaoi: Someone I knew that bore this expression every day. Thank you by the way for your concerns.

Otto: Well... um... you're welcome, Kaoi...

Garfiel: Yo, got a sec?

Kaoi: Huh?

The demon slayer was caught off guard by Garfiel's seemingly out-of-nowhere return.

Garfiel: I need to talk to ya'. Alone.

Kaoi: ... Very well.

Otto: But... Kaoi...