Chapter 4: A Strange Morning

SHHHK!

Female Voice: Kaoi!

Crow: CAW CAW

*Multiple Screams of Terror*

Kaoi: Ahhhhhh!

Kaoi jumps up in bed as he had just woken up from a terrible nightmare. He then calms down and looks around his surrounding. He takes notice that he isn't wearing his spectacles as he sees things are a little blurry.

Kaoi: breaths deeply

Kaoi then remembers what last transpired at the slums and goes to inspect his torso. He feels no wound where it should have been.

Kaoi: Boy, the things Kocho-sama would do for healing abilities like Sat- Emilia.

Kaoi then gets up from the bed and searches for his spectacles. He eventually finds them on a dresser.

Kaoi: There we go.

Taking a better look at the room he is in. Kaoi sees that he is in a very fancy bedroom. Like the ones, the rich of Nippon would try to recreate in their own homes. He also sees that he is not in uniform nor has his nichirin blade by his side.

Slightly panicked, Kaoi goes into the hallway to search for someone to ask the whereabouts of his belongings.

The hallway seems normal enough with a potted plant and painting on the side. Kaoi treks through to find anyone. That is until he notices the same painting on the wall for the 7th time.

Kaoi: a looping hallway? I've heard of certain demon blood arts being able to manipulate the insides of a building but does that kind of power exist here?

Kaoi tries to run to find a way out to no avail.

Kaoi: I guess I better try one of these doors then.

Kaoi opens the door to find a blonde girl with giant pigtails in a massive library.

Little girl: What an aggravating man, I suppose.

Kaoi: A little girl? Is she the one who was making the hallway looped?

Kaoi then picks up on the emotion emitting from the little girl. This emotion becomes nauseating a bit. It's a feeling he never felt before. This overwhelming this sense of ....

.... Indifference.

Kaoi: That's new. Never thought I could feel how much a person doesn't care about me.

Betty: Well, aren't you going to introduce yourself to Betty, I suppose

Kaoi: Oh! My bad, my name is Kaoi.

Kaoi bows as he said this.

Beatrice: At least you have some manners, I suppose. Betty's name is Beatrice and you are intruding on the forbidden library. I will now ask you to leave.

Kaoi: Of course, but can you please tell me where my belonging are? They are very important to me.

Beatrice: One of the twin maids probably has them, I suppose.

Beatrice then raises her hand at the door.

Beatrice: There, Betty has used her door crossing ability, I suppose.

The door will now lead you to the twin maids.

Kaoi: Oh, thank you

Kaoi goes to open the door only the find it locked.

Kaoi: huh?

Beatrice: Before you leave, Betty must make sure you are not a threat.

Kaoi turns around to find Beatrice's hand on his chest. Then for the next seconds stand in awkward silence.

Kaoi: Uhh. Is something supposed to happen?

Beatrice: Hush! Betty must concentrate so be silent.

Kaoi: Ok.

What Kaoi did not know is that Beatrice is having a hard time looking for something within his soul.

Beatrice's Mindscape

Beatrice: Impossible, how is this human able to hide his mana from me? I suppose.

Beatrice went looking for his mana which was nowhere to be seen within the boy's soul. That is until Beatrice felt an invisible wall.

Beatrice: Ha! Betty found it. After I drain his mana, I would have to ask this human how he was able to close it from me, I suppose.

Beatrice feeling confident, made an opening within the wall expecting to find the boy's gate and mana. Only for flames to come out which shocks Beatrice out of Kaoi's soul.

Real World

Beatrice jumps back as she clutches her hands in pain.

Kaoi: Hey Beatrice! Are you okay what happened?

Beatrice: . . . how?

Kaoi: Huh?

Beatrice: How are you able to repel Betty from drawing your mana, I suppose.

Kaoi: Mana? Repel? I don't know what you're talking about but you need help.

Kaoi tries to pick her up, only for her to shuffle away.

Beatrice: Betty will be fine. Just leave Betty alone for now.

Kaoi shock at this understands and leaves the library through the now open door.

Click.

What Kaoi sees next is not exactly what he was expecting.

Twin maids with one having blue hair and the other pink hair in what could best be described as short-skirted maid attire.

Kaoi: uhhh... Hi

Kaoi did the best he could to seem friendly to the maids only for them to respond with...

Blue Maid: Sister, Sister it seems like our guest is a slob that couldn't be bothered to dress up for the day.

Pink Maid: Rem, Rem it seems you are correct. Truly the actions of a loser.

They then started clutching each other's hands while they say this.

At that moment the residents of the place Kaoi is in got a loud wake-up call as a dumbfounded Demon Slayer screams

Kaoi: WHAT!?