𝟎𝟎𝟏 Vines

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐎𝐧𝐞

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐎𝐧𝐞

Ⅰ 𝒗𝒊𝒏𝒆𝒔

BY ALL ACCOUNTS, HAZEL LILLIS IS AN ORDINARY GIRL. Good grades in school and even with her hatred of sports, had high grades in her P.E. classes. She had been friends with Rachel Roth for a little over a year and a half. They had met when a boy, Trent, had tried to persuade Rachel into a kiss, Hazel had rushed over and pushed him off. When Hazel had warned the boy to back off he pushed Hazel and she struck his face, leaving a nasty bruise.

Hazel got detention and she sat alone in the empty classroom until the door squeaked open. Rachel silently walked to Hazel and sat next to her, but she didn't look at her. Hazel kicked Rachl's chair softly and smiled. "Did you punch him this time?" Hazel laughed and Rachel shook her head.

"No, but I wanted to say thanks," Rachel shrugged. "I'm Rachel Roth."

"Hazel Lillis."

HAZEL SAT AT THE KITCHEN, SIPPING ON HER TEA. She regrew the wilting herbs and spices that hung on the kitchen window pane. Hazel stood up grabbing her satchel and notebook from the table. "Morning flower," Marina, Hazel's mother, greeted pressing a kiss to the top of her head. "Oh, thank you for saving my plants."

"You're welcome Mom," Hazel smiled. She downed the last of her tea and closed her bag. "I've got to go, I'm gonna miss the bus." Hazel threw on her jacket and slung her bag over her shoulder. "Bye Mom! Love you!" Her mother called to her but Hazel was already out the door.

The bus rolled down her street squeaking as it parked in front of the house next to hers. Hazel and one other girl stepped on the bus, the girl strode past the past driver but Hazel offered her a sweet smile. Hazel sat next to Rachel, smiling at her.

"Hey, Rachel," Hazel smiled, resting her bag on her knees.

"Hey Haze," Rachel smiled but her tone waved slightly and her eyes were darting around. The two sat silently for a second but both jumped when a boy leaned in between the girls shouting at them

"Come on. What are you hiding from?" He nagged nearly sniffing Rachel's hair. "You don't have to be shy with me. I like freaks." She turned her face away trying to shield herself even more with her jacket.

"Hey, leave her alone," Hazel ordered softly, turning away from him.

"Hey, hey, hey I like the pretty ones too," The boy went on.

Hazel turned, ready to snap at the boy but Rachel stopped her. "Just leave it," Rachel insited. Hazel stood up, grabbing Rachel's hand and moving them a seat down.