𝟎𝟎𝟕 The Red Tree

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐒𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐒𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧

Ⅶ 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒓𝒆𝒅 𝒕𝒓𝒆𝒆

HAZEL AND GAR WALKED BESIDE EACH OTHER THROUGH THE WOODS. Gar looked up at Hazel, who kept her eyes forward, her eyes flickering through the bush. As the heavy grey clouds loomed, the sky transformed into a sombre shade of blue, casting a murky aura over the surroundings. "I'm sorry," Gar said suddenly and Hazel turned to look at him. "For not coming to see you when you were arrested."

"It's okay Gar," Hazel said softly. "It's not like it's the first time."

Gar nodded, shaking his hands nervously. "They wouldn't let me, Kory and Dick. Said I'd go beast mode," Gar laughed making Hazel chuckle. "When they got back, Kory said what Cole saw made her stomach churn."

"Yeah," Hazel said, nodding her head. "It's definitely number one on the shock collar pain list. Second is Cadmus, then that asylum. Gothom is last because I only wore it for an hour at most. This one royally sucked."

"Was it that bad?"

Hazel shrugged softly. Was it that bad? Yes, it felt like her body was being pulled from life itself. Don't tell him, he'll worry too much. "Collar, straight jacket and lotta drugs." Hazel looked back at Gar and smiled. "Yeah, you probably would've gone Beast mode." Gar nodded but he let his head drop slightly. "Hey. It's over, no more annoying government arrests." Gar nodded smiling softly.

Gar growled softly and Hazel's eyes lit up. "Did you feel that?" Gar asked, stepping past Hazel.

"Yeah, but I- I can't tell from where," Hazel muttered, looking around the woods. 

"Look," Gar called, looking up. Hazel walked to his side, following his eyes. "The sky."

Hazel glanced at Gar before back up. "I don't see anything," Hazel said.

"Here," Gar said. He took Hazel's hand, their fingers intertwining. Hazel let their hands glow green, connecting them both and slowly the world turned a bright red. "How about now?"

Hazel nodded softly, her eyes jumping around. The sombre and dreary blue-grey shade gradually transitioned into a more prominent and striking red hue, which was further enhanced by the stunning and lively orange beams of light. "Yeah, I see it."

"I'll take you back, and come out on my own," Gar said, trying to turn back.

"What? Why?" Hazel said, tugging his hand and turning him back around.

Gar bit his cheek and stepped closer. "Last night, I heard you having a nightmare," Gar said softly and Hazel let out a soft breath. "I know the nightmares mess with your powers, and you didn't sleep. I don't wanna drag you out here just to be the reason you get hurt."