𝟎𝟎𝟕 The Dragon Trials

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐒𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐒𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧

Ⅶ 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒅𝒓𝒂𝒈𝒐𝒏 𝒕𝒓𝒊𝒂𝒍𝒔

BLOOD DRIPPED OVER HER BODY AND FLESH WAS CAUGHT UNDER HER FINGERNAILS. As the blood dripped down from her brow and over her lips, she spat it away. Dead bodies were piled around her, mutilated with vines, branches and burns. One man was impaled on the wall next to the CADMUS Lab's sign, his blood pooling on the floor beneath.

Hazel looked down at Mercy Graves who lay under her. Her right arm was twisted and her broken nose made it hard for her to breathe. Hazel knelt, her knee pressing into the broken split in her arm. Mercy screamed her arm coming up to try and fight Hazel off but Hazel simply grabbed her wrist and pushed her back into the shattered glass broken across the concrete. "Please... Please," Her voice was weak, barely a whisper.

"Give me one good reason not to," Hazel threatened, her hand igniting with red light.

Mercy gurgled, blood spilling over her lips, "My... my kids."

Hazel shot up with a gasp, her hands digging into the couch beneath her. Her breath shook, her chest tight as she tried to focus on her hands. "Good morning sleeping beauty," Hank mused, the coffee machine he stood at making a whirring sound.

Hazel's head shot up before her eyes bounced around the room. "Hank?" Hazel muttered. Her eyes focused on different things around the room. She lay across a large leather couch, a thick blanket covering her body and a few spare cushions propping up her head. She was in the middle of a modern esc living room, the walls white but the rest of the decorations a dark brown. The kitchen Hank stood in just to the right of her was also white but the kitchen had more splatters of blue. Hazel groaned, her fingers rubbing her temples as she sat up properly."How did I get here? Am I in Utah?"

Hank chuckled to himself and walked to the couch. He set a mug in front of Hazel before sitting on the edge of the couch. Hank laughed to himself and turned off the TV playing a football game. "I saw you getting kicked out of a bar downtown, I brought you back here," Hank relayed, sipping on his coffee. "No fucking clue how you got to Utah."

"Uh... I don't know," Hazel muttered.

They sat in silence for a moment before Hank sighed. "How long have you been out of the tower?" Hank asked as Hazel reached for the hot coffee. Hazel looked up at Hank, her eyebrows creasing. "I have at least a hundred texts from Gar, and another dozen from everyone else."

Hazel groaned, her eyes shut tight. "Did you... did you answer them?" Hazel asked, hiding her face behind the mug.

Hank huffed his shoulders dropping. "No, I wanted to talk to you first." Hank turned to Hazel, putting his mug down and Hazel copied the action. "You can stay here as long as you need but I need you to answer some questions Haze." Hazel nodded and Hank ran his hands down his jeans. "How long have you been out of the tower?"