month 1 week 2

A flicker of triumph ignited in the man's eyes. He'd found it, the answer lodged among the digital maze of the web.

"Finally," he whispered, leaning closer as he scrolled through the article. The computer's soft glow illuminated his face, casting shadows that mirrored the gloam invading his thoughts.

He devoured the words voraciously, picturing each description vividly in his mind. It started broadly, explaining the concept of smiling depression - when one appears happy externally but internally grapples with sorrow, a person who carries the weight of an inner storm while wearing a mask of unwavering cheer. Their outward life, is a carefully curated tableau of normalcy, even perfection, while beneath the surface, shadows danced and whispers of despair echoed. He knew that all too well. There was more to it than just a name.

Scrolling impatiently, he sought something deeper than the basics he already understood. The article mentioned how the disease isn't recognized as a condition in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5) but would likely be diagnosed as a major depressive disorder with atypical features. Although it isn't a clinical diagnosis, for many people, it's a real problem and for some, it can be a huge problem even for their health.

Typically, smiling depression occurs when individuals who are experiencing depression mask their symptoms. They hide behind a smile to convince other people that they are happy.

But Jungkook could not relate to that, not fully. In jimin's condition, the pretense was not to convince others of some fictitious joy, but to persuade himself that the dark thoughts did not consume him. Or at least to numb his mind to their effects, to make himself believe he was indeed happy. 

Jungkook was so engrossed in his reading that he didn't notice his butler enter until a cup of coffee appeared before him.

"Aren't you being a little creepy, sir?" the butler asked, eyebrows raised. "I mean, doing a full search on the boy, stalking him from your window, tracking his every move...it's somewhat disturbing."

Jungkook chuckled softly, leaning back in his chair. "Not that creepy if you ask me," he replied amusedly.

"And I'm 20 years old," came the sarcastic response, making Jungkook's grin grow wider.

The old man affectionately ruffled Jungkook's hair before turning to leave, pausing at the door. "Who knew such a condition truly existed?" he mused solemnly. "It's rather tragic."

Jungkook's expression sobered as he returned his gaze to the computer screen, the ghost of a smile disappearing as quickly as it appeared. "Indeed," he whispered into the empty room.

After the eventful night at Jimin's house, Jungkook had been swept up with word and business dealings for his company. He was forced to skip school just to keep up, not leaving him a spare moment to check on Jimin over the past few days.

But finally, the weekend arrived and Jungkook could catch his breath and see how the other boy was faring. If he was being honest, Jungkook was worried about Jimin's reaction to waking up back in his room with little explanation of what had transpired.

What conclusions would he have drawn? Did he have any memories of what happened that night?

From across the street, Jimin carried grocery bags inside, his gaze wandering towards Jungkook's home. He noticed the other's apparent absence over the last couple of days unlike his normal constant presence and doting attention.

what could have happened? why wouldn't he come around like he usually does?

Shaking the thoughts from his head, Jimin retreated to his kitchen to prepare lunch, and then when done he walked to his bathroom to take a shower.