At Least...

We continued walking further and further into the cave. I was slowly beginning to get disturbed by how long this cave was lasting through the mountain. I wondered how far underground we were by now.

Soon, the darkness all around us began to lift as light was shining in front of us. We walked towards the light and saw the exit to the cave, like a massive glowing wall of light. We walked out of the cave and allowed our eyes to adjust to the new light hitting us.

As I realised what the landscape was before us, I fell into utter loss at just how we had wound up in a place like this. A barren desert was ahead of us, nothing but dry orange dirt, cactus and rocks that stretched onto the horizon.

"Weren't we just...in the middle of a storm?" I asked.

"Definitely not Costa Rica," Brooklynn said as she leant on rock, then recoiled at the heat. We  limbed down the mountain and walked onto an outcrop of rocks.

"It looks more like... Australia?" Darius guessed. "No way we went that far though, right?" Kenji's hand randomly flew out and gripped Darius' cheek firmly. "Kenji? What are you doing?"

"Making sure we're not dead," Kenji replied as he stared out at the desert before him. "Because if we're dead, we'd be ghosts, and if we're ghosts, I'd be able to, like... Ooh, go through you". He wiggled his fingers in a creepy fashion at Darius.

He slapped Kenji's hand away and marched forward. "We're not dead!"

"Well, now you know," Kenji said. "You're welcome".

"So we know where we aren't," Brooklynn said. "Any idea where we are?"

"Nope," Yasmina said, sitting on a rock with a stone in her hand. "Just that we're stranded. And alone. Again". She threw the rock away and slumped down in sadness.

"Hey guys, look at that!" Ben called with a smile, he slid down towards us and pointed out into the desert. "Over there in the distance. Something shiny!" I followed his finger, there was...something out there shiny, but it was way too far to tell what it was or if it was helpful.

"I see it!" Sammy said. "Looks like the sun is glinting off some sort of metal thingy?"

"Something metal could mean someone had to make it," Ben said, his smile not faltering. "We have to check it out".

"Hang on," Kenji said, raising his hands to slow everything down and somehow being the voice of reason. "You want to go walking across a blazing hot desert just because you saw something shiny?"

"We have no idea what's out there," Darius said.

Ben stood on a rock and cross his arms. "Oh, my sweet frightened children. So, we're not in 'Cost Rica' and we don't know 'where we are' and we have 'no hope'". I could sense a speech coming on, nobody felt objective to it, so we all stood around him and listened. "We didn't know how we were going to survive on Nublar and yet, we did. By sheer will, determination, and teamwork. There aren't even dinosaurs here! So logically, this could be easier". He turned back to the jungle and raised his fists. "So let's get out there and, you know, survive!"

Everyone was sill silent. Yasmina rolled her eyes and walked down the mountain into the desert, Sammy and Brooklynn were close behind her with Kenji trailing back a bit. Ben jumped off the rock and walked with Darius down the mountain.

I stayed on the rocks and looked into the desert while everyone else began their journey. I looked back up at the cave, then turned to the desert and then back and forth again. I lifted my right hand and looked at my palm, tracing my thumb over the scar that was on it. I sighed when I remembered who had given it to me, it was crazy but I would miss Blue, she wasn't like the other dinosaurs.