Mission Critical

Mazy Lockwood stared at the dinosaur statues behind the glass, frozen in their fake environment. her home, Lockwood Manor was full of these little exhibits. These were the closest she will ever get to real dinosaurs, she still found herself wishing to see them for real, to experience the real thing, but she hated that she did. After all, it was the real thing that had gotten her brother killed.

She missed Max, it was so lonely without him around to hang out with her. At first, she refused to believe that he wad dead, eaten by dinosaurs? Come on, no way was Max going to let that happen. But then six months had passed and she been forced to accept that he wasn't coming home. 

Now it was nothing but adults coming in and out and being locked in her room whenever private things were going on. She felt uneasy every time something like that was happening. Things were changing all around her, even when she didn't know what was really going on, she could still tell something big was going on.

Her grandpa, Mr Lockwood, had been more closed off than ever and she was beginning to get worried. At first she thought it was because of Max's death, but something was telling her that it was more than that, but she didn't how she could find out, or even if she wanted to for that matter.

Only one way to find out. She turned away from the dinosaur with much resentment and went to find her grandpa. She walked down the hallways of the manor and approached his bedroom, after a gentle knock on the door, she walked inside and saw her grandpa awake and looking through a device.

"Grandpa?" She asked. The old man looked up and he swiftly turned the device off and lay it on his lap. "I...I wanted to talk to you".

"Of course," he said happily. "What is it?"

She sat on the end of his bed and sighed before continuing. "I wanted to ask if you were okay? I mean, I know these past months haven't been good with these adults coming in and asking you things...and with...Max's death...I just feel like you've sort of closed off from me".

"Oh, those adults are just here to make sure I'm okay and to discuss matters with me that require my attention. I promise they aren't stressing me out or anything. I'm fine," the old man said.

"But what about Max!?" She said, her voice a little louder than she had meant to. "You haven't mentioned ever since he went off to Jurassic World!"

The man paused for a moment, as if he had to remember who that boy was. "I haven't any reason to," he replied distantly. 

"Why not? When I heard what happened, I was...more than devastated, how can you not be?"

Mr Lockwood looked away for a moment. His eyes flicked down to the device in his hands for less than a second. Finally, he spoke. "He was a...troublesome boy who made the wrong decisions in his life".

KH BBS OST - Tears Of The Light

Mazy shot to her feet and glared at her grandpa with as much anger as he could. "For his whole life, he treated you with as much respect as any could muster, I saw it myself. He helped me when I was lonely, he made me feel  there was more than just this manor in the world. He wasn't troubled, he was my brother! And he did more for me than you will ever do!"

Lockwood's look at Mazy caused her to falter, knowing she had far overstepped. "Maybe I haven't always been there for you," the man said. "But that boy was not who you thought he was. I'm afraid you didn't truly know him, but I did".

"So that makes his death worthless to you!?" She cried.

"It is better for you, me and everyone that he is dead. You never saw it but he was extremely dangerous to everyone around him. That's why I kept him in his room, so he wouldn't hurt you or anyone else in the world".