Chapter 28- The Eyes of the Tiger

Warning
Poor Atsushi
Reference to suicide
Brief mentions of child abuse
Very brief mentions of neglect
Things be happening

Dazai's P.O.V.

Work, work, work. Ever since I walked into the office this morning, the case was all I was able to breathe for hours. At least I got a short break to hear the sweet voice of my lovely Chuuya.

I continued with my search on our so-called kidnapped victims. looking over addresses, family members, and even their occupations. There wasn't any leads on those, it was as though they vanished from existence.

It must have been from our reality manipulating gift user. Her withdrawing her people to make sure that she isn't caught was her safe move since there is no trace of them being in protective custody.

The problem with her withdrawing, is now we have no way of moving forward. We can't collect any new evidence, only examine old ones.

We checked the backs of the pictures for anything like what was found on the back of Kunikida's, I've been going through the files on each people involved for anything we've missed, and have even sent Atsushi and Kyoka to all marked addresses, but still nothing new has happened.

I was leaning back in my chair, staring at my computer screen with my arms crossed. I needed something to help tie in everything that has happened so far.

What's the farthest back that this case can be traced? Chuuya and my anniversary? No, the kidnappings began two weeks prior to then.

Thinking about it, however, it seems like it may have been long before that. This wasn't the plan of an amateur, they had to have had time to come up with a something that I would have a hard time to solve.

Which means, they know who I am and what I'm capable of figuring out. To our knowledge so far, the woman is the one in charge and her primary goal is Chuuya while her secondary is me.

Who is it though? Someone from the past, perhaps? I just can't seem to place a face and a name together in my mind.

I wanted nothing more than this case to be closed so I can know that Chuuya will be safe but it's a struggle when there isn't anything more for me to look at.

I groaned, leaning forward and resting my head on my desk. "All this work is going to make my hair grey and fall out!"

"I don't think your hair is going to grey from one full day of work," I heard Kunikida say from his desk across from me. "Have you found anymore clues?"

I lifted my head again, resting it in the palm of my hand. "Considering we came up empty handed with the Protective Services, I wasn't able to gather anything new."

I lifted a paper in front if me that contained notes of evidence. "All those who were pretending to be victims in the case seem to have vanished into things air, leaving behind nothing to confirm they even were there."

"You mean like a shadow?" Atsushi asked from beside me.

I gave him a smile. "Now, you're using your head, Atsushi. It's the appropriate description given the name of their organization."

"The Society of Shadows. But what do you think their initial goal is? They must have a reason for wanting Chuuya and you," Kunikida asked leaning back in his own chair.