Epilogue

Just going ahead and finishing up.

Warning
Talk of suicide
Chapter is much shorter
The end?

The wind blew across my face as I stood before the gravestone in the cemetery.

"It was a long journey we had together. I was never ready to say goodbye and if I could go back, I would have done right and kept the promises I had made to you." I played with the ring box in my coat pocket.

"So much has happened and I've just not been able to talk to anyone about it since I've been in the hospital for my arm." I smiled down at the marble stone. "Everyone is so busy cleaning up this case, so I thought I'd come talk to you. You've always been a good listener."

I took a deep breath, looking up into the sky. "Where do I even begin? Probably our anniversary, though I don't want to bore you with the details."

A gust of wind blew back my hair as I watched the leaves sway on their branches. It felt so familiar to that moment on the roof of warehouse with Chuuya. That time felt so distant compared to now, like time had sped up.

I smiled as I closed my eyes. "I'm overthinking things again and making them complicated."

I wished the events of the last three weeks would be rewound and Chuuya and I could have had a proper restart to our relationship. No case or kidnappings. No murder. No targets on our heads. Just us.

"Here you are, Dazai. I've been looking everywhere for you," a voice approached me from behind.

I opened my eyes as I turned and looked at the man as he stopped beside me. I couldn't help myself as I reached out and ran my knuckles down the side of his face, fingers catching onto a few of his red curls.

His sapphire blue eyes looked up at me questioningly. "You alright, Mackerel?"

My smile widened as my fingers slipped around his neck. I leaned down and pressed a kiss to his forehead.

"Never better, baby." I looked back at the gravestone. "I just came to talk with Odasaku for a bit."

Chuuya looked from me to the grave. "I feel bad that he can't tell you to shut up."

I gasped dramatically, pretending to be offended by his words. "I'm hurt by the harsh words of my boyfriend! Oh, the agony of being unloved!"

He hit me on my unbroken arm, rolling his eyes. "Such a drama queen. Hurry up and finish your chat so we can go eat. I'm starving."

I chuckled, giving him another kiss, this time on the cheek. "As you wish, my love."

I looked back down at the gravestone as my arm slipped around the back of Chuuya's shoulders. His arms wrapped around my waist, hugging me as he rested his cheek against my chest. He had been oddly affectionate the last several hours.

I chuckled into his hair. "I guess I got to get going, Odasaku. When my chibi is being sweet like this, it usually has a good outcome if I give him what he wants."

A mumbled "Shut up, bastard," is spoken as Chuuya turns his face into my chest.

"I'll be sure to come back and visit!" My fingers trailed from Chuuya's shoulder into the soft curls of red. "Ready, baby?"