Four Eyes

Dear Jesus,

The dreaded moment came. My eyes were to be treated.

The wailing ambulance had wheeled me and some other passengers who had sustained a few scratches to the Flemming General hospital, which was an affiliated partner of the airline that transported us.

Kathy and John tagged along like faithful puppies.

I was the one who strongly discouraged them from calling home. If my parents had been informed about what had happened by my two shaken friends, Mom would have suffered an automatic Angina Pectoris (Yup, like I said before,
get accustomed to the med vocab, Lord. It comes with my course description. He he he... Angina Pectoris is med jargon for heart attack. I know you know. I'm just trying to flex my muscles a bit *flashes a toothy grin*).
And Dad? Dad would have teleported down here in five seconds max.

My escorts, or should I call them assigned guardians, from the McCheyenne authorities also accompanied us to the hospital. Being a recipient of their annual scholarship award, McCheyenne had sent a small, two-membered entourage to escort me straight from the airport to the School's Administrative Section to help me process and validate my scholarship pronto.
As fate would have it, they became my hospital escorts at that moment.

The first leader, a petite, bilingual woman, fluent in French and English, bore the name Mrs Wendy D'Forb. The second, obviously a senior student, was a cool-looking guy whose name I got to know was Leonard Joss.
They were the ones who contacted the school to explain the reason for our (and by our, I mean me and my friends') delay.

Later that night, when things had settled a bit, they called my parents to calmly inform them of my condition, and that I was in good hands, and that they needn't bother coming all the way down here.

My mom was the first to request to speak to me. As should be expected.

"My Star, are you okay?" Her voice was breathy and a little high.

"I'm going to be fine, Mom."

"Just tell me if you want us to be there with you."

"Don't worry, Mommy. That will be unnecessary. Jesus is here with me." I smiled even as I said that.

"Stay strong, Daughter. We'll be praying for you." That was Dad's voice. It was then I realized that Mom had put the phone to loudspeaker mode. Again, as should be expected.

"I know." I winced as a streak of pain shot through my eye and my whole body.

"We love you."

"Love you too. Dad. Mom."
I sighed after the click that signified the end of the call, trying to ease the throbbing I now felt in my head.

When my escorts were ready to leave to attend to other official assignments, John and Kathy insisted that they would stay with me till I was discharged the next morning.

The nurses administered strong antibiotics to prevent an infection, and later analgesics to ease my pain.

During the treatment, after administering general anaesthetic, they careful picked out the glass fragments from my eye with special forceps in an emergency operating room, under the supervision of an optical surgeon.

I was unconscious throughout the surgery, much to my relief.

When they were done, they bandaged both eyes with clean gauze, reducing the pressure underneath with soft swabs of cotton wools.

"How are you feeling Ray?" Kathy asked, when they had moved me to a general ward one hour later and I had come around. Her warm hands rested on my shoulder and a feeling of safety washed over me.