Den of Books

Dear Jesus,

It's been three weeks away from home in this new territory called college. Things are beginning to settle down, somewhat.

The classes have been progressing steadily, yet aggressively.
Maths and Physics have been grueling so far but I know I'll survive.

By the way, it's so much fun when you're free to go to YouTube and watch amazing videos on your subject course. And I get to do that as often as I want.

And then, there's the countless assignments. It's an avalanche, I tell you. In fact, I have one due for next week-Biology. That was why I had to eventually quit the procrastinating cycle lest I slip unknowingly into trouble. I headed to the mammoth library building to get some research done.

Before I get down to the things that happened while I was there, let me dive into a brief detour.

As I was walking to the library with my backpack stuffed with books, I saw a lady on a bench under a tree cooing at a baby she held in her arms.
I smiled and even gave a small wave to the bawling kid as I remembered my conversation with Felicia earlier this week.

I called Felicia five day after her safe delivery. After three rings, she picked up the call.

"Hello?" she slurred. I heard background sounds like a person stretching. I had to recheck my watch. It was 10am on a Wednesday morning.
Was she still asleep at this time? Who was I to judge? After all I had no idea how stressful being a mother at an early age felt like.

But really, this was the only chance I had to call her. I had a thirty-minute break before the next lecturer showed up and my whole day, as well as the ones to come, was already filled with tons of things to do.
I couldn't risk postponing the long overdue call. I needed to talk to my friend, if only to show that I haven't abandoned her.

"Felicia, it's me, Radiance. Am I calling at the wrong time? So sorry if I disturbed your sleep."

"Ray?" Her voice sounded so happy and surprised. More shuffling. A sniff and clearing of throat.
"How are you?"

"I should be asking you that. I'm sorry I called you so late. It's been a crazy merry-go-round down here."

"Don't be sorry. Your call is the perfect start for my day. It's so good to hear from you again."

I paused and then asked her softly, "How's the baby?"

"She's fine."

"Thank God. I was so scared when I heard you went into an early labour. I prayed for you. We all did." I heard Felicia whisper a 'thank you'.

"Now that I think of it, I always suspected the baby would be a girl. I should have placed a bet. I'll have become a stinking rich gal by now," I joked.

Felicia laughed and then her voice sofened as she said, "She's so beautiful, Ray. And as fragile as a flower. My heart melted when I first saw her, after my anaesthesia had weared off, curled up in her incubator. I was just wondering, this was the pretty soul that would have died with me if Jesus didn't show up and rescue me in time."

"I tell you."

"And oh, she's a big eater. She kept me up all night trying to pacify her. It's a good thing she's still sleeping now, else I wouldn't be able to hear what you're saying." Felicia and I chucked.

"What are you going to name her?"

"Shouldn't you wait till the great reveal on her naming? Why's everyone so curious to know? My parents have their own names ready but they're keeping it secret. Luke doesn't want me to even think, so he claims he's doing the thinking for me. Can you imagine?"