1

SETTING

C City Shen Ai Hospital, 6th Floor, Inpatient Ward 2:

Qi Le lay on the hospital bed as he nagged incessantly, “I have a few paintings in my wardrobe that I prepared as gifts for you. Take good care of them. If I become famous in the future, they'll all become valuable. I've written your names at the top so when the time comes, don't you dare fight over them!"

“I'll definitely fight over them, so you should just give them to me in person.” Gu Bai held his hand, the corners of the mouth slightly lifting upwards to form a faint smile.

“Oh….. ok,” Qi Le looked pale, but his eyes were very bright; his mood was rarely this good. He turned to look at him. “I still have half a carton of milk in my cupboard. It'll expire tomorrow, so Erquan, help me finish it when you get home.”

Gu Bai, “…”

“There might still be half a ham left, finish that as well ah.” Qi Le thought some more and recalled, “Oh, I've not washed my socks. Help me wash them, also…..”

“You wish,” Gu Bai interrupted. “Wash it yourself once you get out of here.”

Qi Le laughed, “I'm craving for roast duck from the restaurant near our school.”

“Ok, I'll give you a treat next time.”

Qi Le had just said an, “Mmm,” when the door of the ward opened and several nurses entered. It appeared that it was time for the operation. He looked at the man and woman standing by the side and wanted to say something, but he held himself back. Over the years, his parents had suffered because him. The words he wanted to say had already been long spoken. Anything he said now would only cause more tears. Why bother? Mother Qi's eyes were red, “We'll wait for you to come out.”

Qi Le nodded and then turned to look at the girl beside him; she was his girlfriend.  

She smiled, “I'll be waiting for you as well.”

Qi Le looked around; his family, his closest friend and his girlfriend were all there. He had already received all the love and affection that he ought to have experienced. He certainly hadn't lived in vain. As the nurse pushed him out, he looked at the little boy holding Mother Qi's hand, “Take good care of dad and mum in the future, xiaodi.”  

Mother Qi couldn't hold back the tears anymore; Father Qi frowned, “What nonsense are you talking about, you rascal?”  

Qi Le quickly added, “Be good and listen to me, xiaodi. When gege comes out, I'll buy you candy.”  

Father Qi looked at his son, who smiled after he finished speaking, as if he was trying to coax them. Seeing those blue lips that were common to heart disease patients, he felt a stab of pain in his chest and tried to endure the tingle in his nose. He sighed, and slowly rubbed his son's head. The others followed behind as Qi Le was wheeled out of ward 606, into the elevator, up to the eighth floor, and into operating room 808. Qi Le secretly nodded, this room number's lucky enough. He should be ok.

Gu Bai watched as he was about to enter, and struggled about something for a moment before running after him, “Xiao Le, there's something I've always wanted to tell you.”  

“Huh?” Qi Le looked at him, “What is it?”  

Gu Bai's mood was complicated, “I'll tell you after you're out.”

Qi Le had been friends with him since they were little. With one glance, he could tell that this guy wasn't joking. On top of that, it seemed like it was an extremely important matter. He tried to look outside through the gap in the operating room doors. The success rate of this operation was rather low. If it failed, he would never know what Gu Bai had wanted to say to him. This guy shouldn't have brought it up at all, but now that he did without explaining what it was about, Qi Le's curiosity was piqued and there was no way to get rid of that. If he really had any regrets, this would definitely be one of them.