Thirty Six:

"Mr. Lee Yongbok, Jisung's best friend since birth. Can you explain to us the treatment your friend received at the hands of his grandmother?" Felix nods.

"She was always super polite in front of me. But when she thought I wasn't looking or listening, every word towards Jisung was an attack. She used to call him dumb and once she called him..." He paused, not wanting to say the word. Judge Min nodded at him, encouraging the boy to continue. Jisung was crying at this point. "She called him a fag." He said in an almost whisper. The jury gasps.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"You are the mother of Lee Minho?" Asks Mrs. Han's lawyer.

"Yes."

"Surely you of all people understand the maternal instinct to keep a child safe."

"Well... yes." She responds

"Don't you think that my client wants to keep her grandson safe? To give him a home?" He asks.

"I think if she wanted that, she would have intervened sooner." Mrs. Lee responds without hesitation.

"Would you please explain to the jury what you mean by this? Was he not under the jurisdiction of his parents prior to their death?"

"He was under the jurisdiction of himself for all but 2 weeks during the year. 2 weeks in which he spent bloody and bruised."

"And how can you be sure?"

"I'm a paramedic. I was in the ambulance after his father almost killed him."

"And after seeing him in this condition you just decided to welcome him into your home?"

"Well, no."

"Then what convinced you?"

"How happy he makes my son."

"No further questions. Your honor, we would like to call our next witness." Judge Min nods in approval. "We would like to call up Lee Minho." Minho stands and changes places with his mother.

"Lee Minho. A friend to Mr. Han?"

"No." Minho answers immediately.

"Then why beg your parents to house him?"

"Because he's my boyfriend and I love him." He responds.

"So when he came to live with you, he was already your boyfriend?"

"No."

"Then why?"

"Because he was hurting and needed a place to stay. His parents house gave him nightmares, and I wanted to help."

"Did you even think of reaching out to any remaining family?"

"No."

"And why not? Is the housing of a minor just under your discretion, Mr. Lee?"

"No, but if Jisung had wanted to be with family, he would have communicated it to me."

"How can you be sure."

"He was quick to communicate his distaste for your client at his parents funeral."

"I- no further questions your honor." Minho leaves the box, sitting in his seat and squeezing Jisung's hand. Then Jisung's lawyer calls Jisung to the stand.

"Mr. Han, how does the idea of living with your grandmother make you feel?"

"I would rather live with a constant panic attack, then live under the same roof as her."

"What about your life do you feel would be changed by you living with her?"

"Everything. I have a very tight knit group of friends, and a loving boyfriend." He pauses to look at his grandmother as she cringes. "This bothers her, and as long as I'm a minor, my freedom to see them would most likely be revoked."

"Thank you. I would like to call Mrs. Han to the stand." Jisung returns to his seat, breathing heavily. Behind him, Chan puts his hand on the boy's shoulder, Jisung responding by squeezing his hand.

"You seem uncomfortable with the idea of your grandson being in a relationship with a boy." The judge begins. Mrs. Han nods.

"It does make me uncomfortable. But, that doesn't mean I don't want him to live with me."

"Accepting him into your home would mean you accept his relationship too, as the idea would still linger."

"Not necessarily. That boy has corrupted my grandson." She spits, immediately putting her hand over her mouth. Her lawyer sighs, knowing she's blown it. Now she just has to hope the jury thinks as she does. "If he lives with me, I can help secure a future for him, where he won't be shunned. He's a minor, a boy. He doesn't understand what's best for himself yet."

"Objection!" Yells Minho.

"Yes, Mr. Lee?" The judge asks. Jisung looks up at him with wide eyes.

"Mrs. Han is showing a clear display of homophobia, which would no doubt cause a hostile living environment." The judge nods.

"Objection noted."

"I have no more questions for Mrs. Han." Says the lawyer. The next half hour consists of the lawyers presenting any photographic evidence or written evidence.

"Now that all the evidence and testimonies have been processed, we will reconvene in a half hour for the verdict. You may all stretch your legs." Proclaims the judge.

Jeongin immediately is upon Jisung, pulling him into a hug. "Hyung you did so well." He says as everyone else shows up.

"How about we go get some water, Ji?" Seungmin asks, wrapping his arm around his shoulder. The boy's walk to the water fountain, refreshing themselves and taking a walk, making sure to stay as far away from Mrs. Han as possible. They stand outside in the sunshine, just goofing off because they're all nervous. Changbin wraps his arms around Jisung and Chan's shoulders.

"Guys. You know what would be cool? We should go to my studio sometime and write some stuff. We are all studying rapping and producing, how cool would that be for us to work together? I'd like to see you two more often." He says. Jisung agrees with his heart shaped smile.

"Guys, they're ready." Says Chan. The group files in, Jisung walking by Hyunjin.

"Remember the strength you gave to me when Minnie and I were fighting?" Hyunjin asks.

"All I did was treat you as a friend." Jisung replies.

"Yes. And that gave me courage. I need you take it back. Stand tall, Sung. We are here. And we will not give up on you."

"Thank you, Jinnie." Jisung returns to his seat. Intertwining his hand with Minho's. The judge enters the room and everyone stands.

"Has the jury come to a verdict?" He asks. A young woman stands.

"Yes, your honor." He nods in approval, and the woman continues.

"In the case of custody of Han Jisung, we grant custody to..."