Chapter 39- The Plan

I woke up to some yelling. I hear Clary's voice upstairs. She's pretty loud. I dressed and went upstairs. I learned in front of the door. I heard Jace's voice too.

They sounded mad.

Clary spoke. "How could you?! Simon trusted you! Where's Simon now?! What are they going to do with him?!"

Jace spoke calmly. "Nothing. He's all right... I saw him last night..."

"Before or after I saw you? Before or after you pretended everything was all right and that you're fine!?"

"You came away from that thinking I was fine?!" He laughed forcibly, like if he were choking. "I must be a better actor than I thought..."

I cracked the door open. Jace's face was a twisted grin. Clary's face was red in anger.

She flung at Jace, who didn't see it coming at first. She tried to punch him, but he grabbed her hand.

"Let go of my hand!"

I opened the door and pulled them apart. "All right that's enough! Keep this up and you'll end up at each other's throats..."

They stared at me. Clary spoke.

"How long..."

"Enough to hear about Simon..."

Jace looked at Clary. "You think I don't care about Simon?!.. look" He pulled up his sleeve, showing a scar.

"I let him feed from my arm when he needed it the most. I brought him here by accident. I asked him to come to the Institute to talk to him. About you, actually. I thought maybe you could reconsider if Simon talked to you so I asked if he could. Then we were attacked by Forsaken. I had to either leave him there to die or to drag him with me through the portal."

"But why the Clave though..." I said. "Why did he take him there?"

"They said they were going to take him back..."

Clary yelled out. "And you believed them!?!?"

"Yes...." He closed his eyes. "And the worst part about all of this is remembering what Valentine said about how corrupt the Clave is and how it needs to be cleansed. And by the Angel don't I agree with him."

Silence.

Clary spoke again. "I want to see Simon."

"You can't you're not even supposed to be here."

"But he'll think everyone's abandoned him..."

I spoke out. "I went to see him. Here's the proof."

I showed my wrist. "I gave him my blood. He was hungry I saw it. He was dying. I gave it to him and I was going to let him out... but he told me to leave... I'm sorry Clary"

"That's very noble of him to want to stay but we still have to break him out! Jace?"

He exhaled. "Hadn't exactly worked that out yet..."

Clary stayed quiet then looked at me. "How did you even get here?"

I tapped my foot. "I'm in the room downstairs with Chelsea. Amatis was kind enough for let me stay. She always complains to me of how late you show up.... did you tell Jace of what Magnus said?"

"Oh right... Jace we need your help on getting something... something that is more of a bargain now... to get Simon out of jail"

"Look I don't care how much Magnus thinks Alec is cute. He's not gonna help us break Simon out!"

"He will...for the Book of the White"

"The what?"

I spoke. "It's a book that contains the best of the best potions and spells for Downworlders. Magnus wants it and so do we in order to wake up Jocelyn. And we need to get it before Valentine does."

"Where is it?"

"In the Wayland Manor, inside a book called Simple Recipes for Housewives."

"I've seen it. It's in the library."

"Jace can you help us?"

"Yeah... but it's too far.... 5 hours at least if we walk."

I heard the door open. I saw Chelsea. She smiled, her hand shining red. "Who said anything about walking?"