Chapter 63- Closer

I went back into the water, swimming to where they were. Why is Valentine dragging Clary from the water? Matter of fact, why was Clary in the water in the first place?

I popped my head out of the water again, seeing what was going on. Valentine was drawing runes on Clary - one on her neck and others on her arms and legs. He drew another on her lips. He just stared at her patiently, as if waiting for her to wake up.

I splashed the water, sub-merging again. I could see Valentine going towards my direction, looking towards me. I took out my sword and jumped out of the water, startling him. "Valentine!!!"

I blocked a strike from the Mortal Sword and landed in front of Clary. I coughed up some of the water from the lake, while keeping my eyes on him.

He smiled. "Wonderful to meet you again, Angeline" He spat at the ground, leaving a small red spot. "Are you here to help me summon your father?"

"Enough of this Valentine. You and I both know you're here on personal gain only. Not for any benefit to the world or Idris alone"

He laughed. "As what I expect of a demon tainted angel! You don't understand the gift I will give the world! To be rid of impure people!"

"You gave demon blood to your son Jonathan! And yet you consider yourself better than the rest!"

He looked at Clary. "She took a risk portaling here... I had to clean the water from her system. It's poisonous to mundanes and Downworlders. But you... it must not harm angels."

"What are those marks..."

"A rune of silence... Those the silent brothers use. Also a few binding runes to keep her from standing"

"You would do that to your own child... well... you did turn your own son into a demon... I can't say I'm surprised."

"I'm surprised you were able to trick Jonathan like that. No one could trick him."

"Apparently, only an angel and demon hybrid can"

I heard a gasp. I shifted my eyes toward Clary. She was trying to speak. I drew the rune of Quietude on the sand, along with the binding runes. I didn't hear her gasp, but breathe harder.

Valentine looked at me still. "She has her talents because of me.... Jocelyn protected her because of me. She left to protect her."

"She protected her from a monster. You would've turned her into something like Jonathan. She..."

He charged at me. I remember that time on the boat, when we fought. He was strong. I grew stronger but... why do I feel tired.

Jace.... Something happened.

I dodged a blow, but felt the Mortal Sword slice my back. I got the back of his neck. He got my leg. I got his arm. My chest. His shoulder.

Then I heard Clary gasp. I looked at her and suddenly felt something go through my chest. Valentine sighed quietly. "A shame... such a fine specimen had to go to waste"

He pulled the sword out of my body, kicking me to the ground. I looked at the sword in Valentine's hand. "Maellartach.... that's it's name..."

My breathing was slowing down. But I could still see everything happening. I could hear everything.

Valentine dipped the sword into the water, chanting some language I couldn't understand well... But... I feel like he's calling someone... maybe my father...

"Not enough"

I strained my head towards him. "Valentine... what... do... you"

He ignored me, walking towards Clary. I knew what he was going to do...

He would kill Clary for her blood...

I tried to stand. "No! Valentine Morgenstern don't!" I fell into the sand again. "Please... take my life instead..."

Maellartach flew out of Valentine's hand suddenly. His eyes were wide with shock. I suddenly felt what little strength I had left, coming back.

"Clary... Are you alright?"

I felt myself gasp. "Jace..."