Chapter 41- The Library

We walked through a long, twisted hallway. There were mirrors lined along the walls. Even though the years passed, they were finely kept. I looked at every single mirror, sometimes glancing at Chelsea.

I never realized it but... her eyes changed... they're no longer brown but red.

"Chelsea..."

"Shh... there's ears in these walls..."

"Chelsea..."

Jace spoke. "We're here"

He opened a door and I had to admit... Valentine has a great sense of decor.

The curtains were green. The walls were filled to the brim with books. A large window overlooked the valley. The grass looked so green under the brightness of the moon and the darkness of the sky.

"This is the library!! It's beautiful!"

Jace smirked. "I used to sit here and read. I had a schedule too... damn I can't remember..."

Clary looked at him. "It doesn't matter Jace"

He looked down. "I suppose not." He looked at the shelves in front of him. "Simple Recipes for Housewives, got it!"

Clary grabbed the book and opened it. A cloud of dust flew out. I peered out her shoulder. There was a squared hole in the book. In it was...

"The Book of the White"

Clary flipped through the pages. "I can't read this"

Jace spoke. "It's in Greek. Maybe Magnus can read it"

I spoke. "Of course he can! He's the one who wants to read it!"

Jace stopped. "Wait do you guys hear that?"

Clary looked around. "I don't hear anything."

An inaudible buzz went through my ear. "I hear it too..."

Chelsea walked toward the shelf in front of Jace. "Chelsea..." She grabbed a bunch of books and threw them down. She grabbed more and started throwing them.

"Chelsea!"

Jace grabbed her. She yelled and kicked. "Ahh! Jace stop it! Those books are mean!"

The buzzing got louder, almost into a grind. Clary spoke out. "I hear something."

The ground below us moved suddenly. The stone floor slid apart with a sickening grind. I looked and saw stairs.

"A secret passage?!"