Chapter 64- Is This How It Ends?

Jace was in front of us, protecting us. Me and Clary. From Valentine. I thought Sebastian.... Jace's gear was torn and covered in blood though.

Wasn't my strength enough?

He held a sword in front of Valentine. It was long and stamped with dark stars along the edge. "Clary... Jewel... Are you all right?"

Clary gasped. I tried to get up, feeling more pain enter my chest. "Gah!!... He put a rune of Quietude on her. He.... he sta.." I started coughing, spitting out blood.

Valentine chuckled. "I guess she wasn't as strong as I thought"

"She gave me her strength to finish off Sebastian... that's right. I killed him. And I took his sword"

Valentine looked shocked. More shocked than scared. "How... there was no better warrior.. I trained him myself"

"Apparently, there was and don't forget... You trained me too"

Jace rested the blade where Valentine's heart is. If he had one. Valentine didn't look scared though. He.... looks like he's thinking. Thinking about what?

"No Jonathan please I don't want to..."

"To die? No one likes to die father. Or should I even call you that... did you kill my father like you did to my mother?"

"Your mother died with her own hands. I cut you out of her womb to save you.... your father... he died in a raid"

"Lies. You killed him and burned the bones of the Wayland family."

Valentine's eyes flew wide. "How did you know that..."

I tried to stand. Jace pushed the blade closer to Valentine, a flower a blood blossoming in the center.

"Last words Valentine Morgenstern?"

I saw a flash then. A flash in Valentine's eyes... he was gonna do something... I tried to stand again, falling back down to cough up more blood. Why am I not dead yet?

Valentine spoke. "Jonathan... I'm sorry"

I saw a flash. I thought it was the sword Jace had but no. It was Maellartach... The Mortal Sword... Valentine had the sword in his hand and I forgot about it.

He drove the blade into Jace's heart. I heard Clary gasp as Jace fell to the ground.

I felt myself freeze. Jace... not him... why did he have to die... not yet...

Valentine was crying. I could hear him. He held Jace like how the Lightwoods held Max. As if he were a baby...

"My boy.... my son...."

He looked at the sword. "Ave..."

He stood and walked toward the shore. He didn't even finish the goodbye of a Shadowhunter.... and to the one he raised... how cruel can he be...

I felt something snap inside of me. I stood up and grabbed the sword Jace had and ran to Valentine.

He turned around and grabbed the sword, kicking me down. "Please don't interrupt me anymore."

I sliced off his fingers. "You killed Jace... Everyone who followed you... people who cared for you... why... why do people like you exist"

I felt pain enter my chest. "Why..." I swung the sword down his chest. I saw the blade fly away suddenly. Maellartach blocked the blow. Valentine laughed, grabbing me by the throat.

"Angeline.... You will die here and your blood will bring your father back"

He brought the blade through my chest, until the hilt could no longer go through. He flung me down next to Clary and dipped the bloody blade in the cup. She stared at me, widening her eyes. I looked at her, trying to smile. "I'm sorry Clary... I guess I'm not that strong after a..." The words escaped me. I couldn't breathe very well.

Clary started crawling towards the shore for some reason. I realized then that there were runes drawn onto the sand. I kept looked at Clary, who drew something over the sand. I only saw her draw a few lines and nothing else. Nothing like the runes she drew over, which were so detailed and alien-like.

How does she expect something as little as that rune to help us?

Valentine threw Maellartach into the water. Where it landed, water started to rise. A giant altar appeared from the water and grew taller and taller.

Fire appeared from its center. When the fire died off, wings appeared. Then a body. Then a face.

His face reminded me of mine.

Raziel.... my father