forty four | moon over bourbon street

As he went to button up his shirt, Klaus said, "They say the passage of time will heal all wounds

As he went to button up his shirt, Klaus said, "They say the passage of time will heal all wounds...  but the greater the loss, the deeper the cut... and more difficult the process to become whole again. The pain may fade, but scars serve as a reminder of our suffering and make the bearer all the more resolved, never to be wounded again. So as time moves along, we get lost in distractions, act out in frustration... react with aggression... give in to anger. And all the while, we plot and plan as we wait to grow stronger. Then before we know it, the time passes. We are healed, ready to begin anew."

In turn, Genevieve said to him, "Spoken like a man who's made peace with his demons."

Klaus replied, "My demons are dead or chased off."

It was then that Elijah said to him, "Yes, apart from the one lingering monster with whom you share a bed."

After both Klaus and Genevieve turned to look at where Annabelle and Elijah were standing, they found Annabelle once more staring at Genevieve with her eyes narrowed and her head tilted to the side.

And as Annabelle continued to silently stare at Genevieve, Elijah turned to the red-headed witch and said to her, "I trust you can find your clothing and the door."

And as Genevieve got up from where she was seated and slowly made her way out of the room, Annabelle's veins started to come on display, while she watched the red-headed witch walk past her and then physically out of the room.

As soon as Genevieve was out of the room, Elijah said to Klaus, "You do recall that... woman tortured our youngest sister and weakened Annabelle to the point that she could barely stand on her own two feet?"

Klaus told him, "She also revealed the truth about our youngest sister's treachery."

Elijah replied, "And as a consequence, Rebekah is gone forever."

Klaus retorted, "A desire which she apparently harbored for quite some time!"

As he turned to look at Klaus, Elijah said to him, "Niklaus, it has been a month. Now Annabelle and I feel our sister's loss as deeply as you, but you must stop distracting yourself with this ridiculous behavior and channel it into some kind of action."

It was then that Annabelle said, "And that means not channeling it by repeatedly sleeping with the very woman that snapped my neck twice and had vervain injected into my system."

As he went towards his art supplies, Klaus replied, "Why must I exactly?"

Elijah told him, "Because over the course of Marcel's tenure, the city grew accustomed to having a king. You wanted this throne. Now you must accept your responsibility that accompanies that."

Klaus said to him, "Apologies, but I'm rather ensconced in other pursuits."

While Elijah went to grab Klaus by the hand and started to put Klaus's paintbrush away, he said, "If you can so easily neglect your home, I wonder what will become of your daughter. Have you forgotten what it was like to live beneath the threat of violence? We must work together, Niklaus. Let's make this city whole again."