12 | act i, scene xii

W A R N I N G

Slight mentions of mild gore, blood, and sexual assault.

╔═════ °• ✠ •° ═════╗

𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝖙𝖜𝖊𝖑𝖛𝖊

╚═════ °• ✠ •° ═════╝

𝐔𝐌𝐁𝐑𝐈𝐃𝐆𝐄 𝐑𝐄𝐏𝐋𝐀𝐂𝐄𝐃 𝐃𝐔𝐌𝐁𝐋𝐄𝐃𝐎𝐑𝐄 𝐒𝐇𝐎𝐑𝐓𝐋𝐘 after his departure. The posters about the new decrees had appeared all around the school overnight. Still, they didn't explain how everyone in the castle knew that Dumbledore had escaped after defeating two Aurors, the High Inquisitor, the Minister of Magic, and his Junior Assistant. The rumors ran like a pest, infecting the school with truth and lies.

Everyone appeared to know that Harry, Marietta, and Ariadne were the only students who had seen the situation in Dumbledore's office. Since Marietta was now in the hospital wing, Harry and Ariadne were bombarded with demands to provide a personal account everywhere they went. Despite this, Ariadne gave them the harshest glare she could manage. The students rushed out of her way, so she could not answer their questions.

Sitting at breakfast, Ariadne couldn't help but not look at the food in front of her. She felt nauseous and void of hunger as she fluttered her eyes close until she heard a plopping in front of her.

Katarina's figure grinned at her and only took a piece of bread and put it in her mouth. With a mouthful of food, she still spoke, "You want to help me try to find the Mirror of Erised?"

Ariadne frowned in disgust as she talked with her mouth open. She would have thought that Tao's strict nature would have given her some manners.

"I can't understand anything you're saying because of your foul mouth," she stated while turning to look at the food and diverting her gaze elsewhere. Her stomach growled in hunger, but she only patted it in reprimand.

Katarina swallowed quickly and stated again, "Do you want to go and look for the Mirror of Erised?"

Ariadne cocked her head to the side, thinking—the Mirror of Erised. An ancient, ornate mirror showed the most desperate desire buried beneath a human's heart, a longing so desperate that it became a road that anyone could walk forever, thus driving them mad.

Much like the tale of Narcissus, one could see what they most desired, and Narcissus only wanted himself as the most beautiful of them all. But the story didn't say that he had grown old, and he had driven himself mad when he saw that he was no longer beautiful. He had clawed at his face so grotesquely with his unkempt nails that blood had tainted his ivory skin, and muscles and bone had shone, making him even uglier than before. The blood had spilled on the floor where a flower had sprung, and they had given his name to it in his honor.