42 | act ii, scene xvii

W A R N I N G

Slight mentions of blood and self-harm.

╔═════ °• ✠ •° ═════╗

╔═════ °• •° ═════╗

𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝖋𝖔𝖗𝖙𝖞-𝖙𝖜𝖔

╚═════ °• •° ═════╝

𝐀𝐑𝐈𝐀𝐃𝐍𝐄 𝐏𝐑𝐈𝐄𝐃 𝐇𝐄𝐑 𝐄𝐘𝐄𝐒 open, and the sunlight streaming from Katarina's window made her shut her eyes immediately. She groaned as she felt her body wake up. Her nerves activated as she sensed a dull ache in her feet.

She blinked the sleepiness off and saw her feet were washed and freshly bandaged. She saw Katarina rummaging near her suitcase, and when the witch spotted that Ariadne was awake, she brightened.

She walked towards the bed and sat on it. The Ravenclaw witch inquired. "Did you sleep well?"

Ariadne shifted into a sitting position and ran a hand through her ebony locks. She was sure that she looked horrible with her mascara smeared and mud on her face, but when the assassin reached to touch it, she found no leftovers of any dirt.

"Don't worry," Katarina assured her with a smile. "I changed your clothes and washed you with a cloth as best as possible."

Ariadne's face warmed with embarrassment at the healer looking at her naked, and Katarina looked offended, although she laughed.

"I used to bathe you when you were six! You couldn't even wash properly!" Katarina exclaimed, and she tried to duck but failed miserably as Ariadne threw a pillow to her head, slightly groaning.

Ariadne had been too young when she'd been taken to the Underworld. She was the only human allowed to get in because she had the blood of Hades running in her veins. Every time Ariadne needed help, Katarina was the one to help her. Hades never took responsibility for his child. He believed that handling Ariadne was not worthy of his time.

Ariadne's presence and watching her grow up were gifts to Katarina. They both held some mother-daughter relationship, and for someone who could never have kids, Katarina was grateful. She was also thankful she didn't have to deal with the trouble of changing diapers or handling tantrums, so that was a perk.

The witch's smile vanished as she saw Ariadne inspecting her feet. She could see the change in the assassin's demeanor quickly. The way her eyebrows furrowed and her fists clenched into a tight fist, no doubt pressing her nails into the skin.

"Ariadne, what happened last night?" she questioned.

Ariadne pressed her knuckles to her lips. Katarina saw her swallow, and then she responded. "Nothing."