54 | act ii, scene xxix

╔═════ °• ✠ •°═════╗

𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝖋𝖎𝖋𝖙𝖞-𝖋𝖔𝖚𝖗

╚═════ °• •°═════╝

𝐓𝐎𝐌 𝐌𝐀𝐑𝐕𝐎𝐋𝐎 𝐑𝐈𝐃𝐃𝐋𝐄 𝐖𝐀𝐒 a puppeteer who skillfully pulled the strings of those around him.

Riddle had tampered with Ariadne's life, his influence a creeping shadow that slowly but surely enveloped her entire existence. He had used his charm and cunning to isolate her, whispering lies and half-truths into her friends' ears, manipulating them to make her the bad guy. His words were venom, dripping with intent to destroy trust and sow seeds of discord. Her friends had fallen away one by one, trapped by the cobwebs of deceit Tom wove with meticulous precision.

Katarina Crowell had been the exception.

However, Crowell wasn't a friend. Hades had sent her from the Underworld with strict instructions: guide, observe, and ensure Ariadne continued to fulfill her duty, no matter what. Tom never perceived the Ravenclaw as a threat, merely a specter.

The one person Ariadne had had that he hadn't been able to get rid of was Draco, but it had been effortless to cut the string between him and Ariadne, knowing that her embarrassment of being caught would taint her pride.

Because of this, Velasquez avoided Draco at every turn, sitting as far away from him as possible in every class and taking the longest route to classes she had in common with him. The shame gnawed at her, a beast lurking in the pit of her stomach. She had never been caught in such a compromising position. Engaging in forbidden acts and being caught in the middle of it was something she had never envisioned herself doing.

But the assassin had already done things she never thought she could do. She had crossed boundaries she thought were unshakeable, using sorcery not as a last resort but as a weapon in her arsenal, and now here she was, using it to her advantage.