38 | act ii, scene xiii

W A R N I N G

Mentions of blood, gore, and sexual assault.

╔═════ °• ✠ •° ═════╗

𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝖙𝖍𝖎𝖗𝖙𝖞-𝖊𝖎𝖌𝖍𝖙

╚═════ °• ✠ •° ═════╝

𝐀𝐑𝐈𝐀𝐃𝐍𝐄 𝐑𝐔𝐁𝐁𝐄𝐃 𝐇𝐄𝐑 𝐄𝐘𝐄𝐒 tiredly as she opened the door of the Room of Requirement. She had been sleeping, for fuck's sake. Nowadays, it was hard for her to get some of it and for someone to interrupt it made her instantly angry. The assassin had heard the flapping of wings and had read the note addressed to her.

Meet me in the Room of Requirement in half an hour.

The letter had not been signed, but she immediately knew who it was from. She could not mistake Tom's neat handwriting, and she remembered it from the last time he had sent her a note. Ariadne only hoped that he did not have another dead rabbit hanging around to torment her.

"You wished to talk to me?" she called as Tom's back faced her. She stood rooted in front of the door, part of her wanting to escape from his presence.

Riddle did not respond. He only raised his hand and curled his finger for her to come at him.

Obediently, Ariadne walked towards him, trying to hide her annoyance. He did not turn towards her as she approached him but stared at the table in front of him, a magical chessboard.

"Do you know how to play?" he questioned as he gestured to the board, and Ariadne rolled her eyes.

"So you disrupted my sleep for this?" she asked angrily, her forehead creasing.

Tom sighed. "Just sit, Velasquez."

But Ariadne did not budge. She narrowed her eyes at him, but he did not want to fight. Not right now. He barely slept at all, most of his matters taking up space in his mind that kept him awake for hours. So to entertain himself, he would play chess by himself, trying to find a weakness in his play.

He met her eyes. "Please."

Ariadne gloated at his figure, who was begging her, but she still sat down on the chair opposite him. They started playing, and he watched intently as the magic figures moved on their own accord. This was exactly like Muggle chess, except that the figures were alive, which made it a lot like directing troops in battle. Tom's set was ancient and battered, probably bought second-hand.

They played in silence, only speaking up to command the figures to take each other down. Ariadne's play was vicious and merciless. Tom tried to make her fall into a trap, but he studied her, dragging the game as long as possible.