44 | act ii, scene xix

W A R N I N G

Mentions of Death.

╔═════ °• ✠ •° ═════╗

╔═════ °• •° ═════╗

𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝖋𝖔𝖗𝖙𝖞-𝖋𝖔𝖚𝖗

╚═════ °• •° ═════╝

𝐀 𝐂𝐋𝐀𝐍𝐆𝐈𝐍𝐆, 𝐌𝐄𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐍𝐈𝐂𝐀𝐋 𝐍𝐎𝐈𝐒𝐄 carried out in the darkness.

The bars gleamed a ghostly electric blue, perhaps enchanted so that magic couldn't be used to flee. It smelled of stale breath and tarnished metal.

Her ebony hair was matted in front of her face, and Ariadne was slumped, stooping to suit the limitations of the rectangular cage, her hands grabbing the bars. Her emerald eyes peeked past the curtain of hair. Shackles were fastened around her neck, hands, and ankles, producing the same eerie blue glow.

She had no strength left in her, that was certain. Being trapped in that cage was just the punishment she'd received for disobeying orders. She should have never done that.

Her head snapped up when she heard a pair of doors groan and a couple of footsteps accompanied by the loud breaths of a pack of dogs. She hugged herself tighter and rocked herself tightly as the footsteps echoed in the lone chamber and stopped in front of her.

The air in the dungeon felt heavy, laden with a suffocating sense of dread that seemed to press down on Ariadne's chest like a physical weight. The flickering torch in a woman's hand cast eerie shadows on the damp, stone walls, distorting the features of the two figures standing before the cage.

Ariadne's heart hammered in her chest as she listened to her father's voice, cold and detached, slicing through the stale air like a knife. The bars of the cage seemed to glow with an unnatural light, casting a ghostly blue hue over the scene, as if they were infused with some malevolent magic that held her captive.

Her emerald eyes, wide with fear, darted between the figures of her father and some woman (definitely a goddess) as they loomed over her, their presence suffocating in the confined space.

"The shackles and the bars are enchanted, correct?" a man questioned, and Ariadne immediately recognized it as Hades's voice. Her fingers dug in the skin of her knees when she heard his drawl echoing in the chamber, sending shivers down her spine.

"Yes, Hades. She cannot escape. Not even if she uses those tricks her mother teaches her," a woman answered. Ariadne had heard her before, and her mind started cataloging memories, wondering who the voice belonged to.