19 | act i, scene xix

╔═════ °• ✠ •° ═════╗

𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝖓𝖎𝖓𝖊𝖙𝖊𝖊𝖓

╚═════ °• ✠ •° ═════╝

𝐅𝐑𝐎𝐌 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐅𝐑𝐎𝐍𝐓 𝐎𝐅 the Hall the cloudless sky smiled at itself in the smoothly sparkling lake, and the satin green lawns occasionally rippled in a gentle breeze: the castle grounds gleamed in the sunlight as if freshly painted; June had come, which meant only one thing to the fifth years: their O.W.L.s were finally upon them.

Their teachers no longer assigned homework; instead, sessions were devoted to studying the themes their professors believed would likely appear on the examinations. Because of the stress, Ariadne was about to tear her hair out.

During Ariadne's next Transfiguration class, she got their examination schedules and information on the O.W.L. method.

"As you can see," Professor McGonagall said to the students as they scribbled down the dates and times of their examinations from the chalkboard, "your O.W.Ls are spaced out across two weeks. The theoretical examinations will be in the mornings, while the practice exams will be in the afternoons. Of course, your practical Astronomy test will take place at night.

"At this point, I must inform you that your examination papers have been subjected to the most severe Anti-Cheating Charms. Remembralls, Detachable Cribbing Cuffs, and Self-Correcting Ink, as well as Auto-Answer Quills, are prohibited in the examination hall. Every year, I'm sad to report that at least one student believes that they can circumvent the regulations of the Wizarding Examinations Authority." Professor McGonagall screwed up her nose in distaste as she said, "Our new—headmistress has ordered the Heads of House to inform their pupils that cheating would be severely punished—because, of course, your examination results will reflect upon the headmistress's new regime at the school..."

For Ariadne, the exams passed like a blur. She visited the Hospital Wing frequently so Madam Pomfrey could check on her broken ribs. Ariadne had refused to do any spells so the healing could go faster. A part of her did it because she believed she deserved it. It was like a self-inflicted punishment for what Ariadne had done. The other part of her said it was useless, she had done her first spell, and it was thanks to Riddle.

Ariadne gripped her quill tightly as she thought of him. He was a cockroach on her feet, and Ariadne would not have hesitated to kill the bastard. But Dumbledore had been clear. She had two options get close to Riddle or protect Harry. And Ariadne had made a terrible mistake in getting close to Tom. He had promised her they would kill the Dark Lord, but Ariadne was once again a victim of his lies.

She was taking a midnight stroll through the Gryffindor Common Room when she heard someone mumbling angrily. She peeked through one corner until she saw Hermione talking to other Gryffindors.