21 | act i, scene xxi

╔═════ °• ✠ •° ═════╗

𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝖙𝖜𝖊𝖓𝖙𝖞-𝖔𝖓𝖊

╚═════ °• ✠ •° ═════╝

𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐘 𝐇𝐀𝐃 𝐆𝐎𝐍𝐄 𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐎𝐔𝐆𝐇  Hogsmeade and were above the Hogwarts grounds. Mountains and valleys could be seen below them. Ariadne noticed tiny clusters of lights as they traveled through several villages in the dim light and a twisting road with a solitary car squeaking its way home through the hills.

The sun had set, and it was getting dark. The sky turned a pale purple, filled with tiny silver stars, and soon, the lights of Muggle towns gave them no clue of how far from the ground or how quickly they were moving. Ariadne's arms were securely wrapped around her horse's neck as she commanded it to speed up even more. How long had it been since he'd seen Harry had gone to the Ministry?

They continued to fly into the night, Ariadne's face stiff and chilly, her legs aching from clutching the Thestral's sides so firmly, but she didn't dare to alter positions for fear of slipping. The thunder in her ears had made her deaf, and the surge of the chilly night air had made her lips dry and freezing. She had no idea how far they had traveled; all she had was confidence in the beast below her, still speeding purposefully through the night, scarcely flapping its wings as it rushed ahead.

She was going to get there soon. Ariadne could not let Harry die because if she did, she was thoroughly and utterly fucked.

Ariadne felt a shock in her gut. The Thestral's head was suddenly pointing toward the ground, and she had slid forward a few inches along its neck. They were descending at last.

And now, bright orange lights were growing larger and rounder on all sides.

Ariadne could see the tops of buildings, streams of headlights that looked like glowing insect eyes, and pale yellow window squares. They appeared to be rushing toward the concrete all of a sudden. Ariadne gripped the thestral with all her strength, bracing for a sudden impact, but the horse brushed against the dark ground as lightly as a shadow. Ariadne slid from its back, looking around at the street, where the overflowing dumpster still stood a short distance from the vandalized telephone box, both colorless in the flat orange glare of the streetlights.

She could make the faint outline of six figures huddled inside the telephone box and sighed in relief. Ariadne had not been late.

She gave her thestral a quick, grateful pat and then hollered, "Hey, wait for me!"

"Oh, thank god we were just about to state our names," Ron said from inside the telephone box.

"Harry Potter, Ron Weasley, Hermione Granger," Harry said quickly, "Ginny Weasley, Neville Longbottom, Luna Lovegood, and Ariadne Velasquez. We're here to save someone unless your Ministry can do it first!"