Twenty Three

BRETT'S POV

I continue to play, I feel like I'm about to pass out. My sweat drizzled from my forehead as I focus on my playing. I look at Eddy and Y/N in the crowd. Black. Fear took over my eyes as I look for Y/N. Almost... there! I continued to play the piece, the final bar, the final notes. I tried my best to remember and not mess up my performance.

Eddy stood still, his eyes filled with anger and frustration, knowing damn well I outperformed him. I can see Y/N at the corner, her eyes glistened as she gave me a smile. I looked up the spotlight, it's so bright that I can almost reach my brother. It feels like he's with me, listening me play in the crowd.

The bow hairs started to break while my hands are shaking, trying to hold on to my violin. The final note; I raised my arm to the arm with my bow as everyone in the crowd applauded. I breathed heavily, my eyesight is now blurry and my hearing is now fading. I bowed and walked out of the stage.

"Brett!" I hear my mom call from the hallway as she ran, giving me a warm hug, "Did I do good?" I asked mom, tears welled up in her eyes, "You are beyond amazing, sweetheart!" She hugged me again and cried. It's been so long since I felt my mother's embrace; Olaf and dad were looking at us, wiping their tears away from their eyes.

"It was extraordinary." My eyes went round upon hearing that familiar voice coming from behind. My mom gasped and smiled widely, "Y/N." My voice cracked as I rushed to her and gave her a tight hug. I feel complete, she was my missing puzzle piece. "I missed you." I whimpered and stayed still. I don't want to let her go.

Y/N chuckled and sniffed, "You are the star of the night. You left everyone speechless in the room. You never fail to amaze me." Y/N said genuinely, making me cry even more. "Win or lose, you will always be my best violinist, Brett. I'm so proud of you." She grinned and hugged me again. I feel so relieved to hug Y/N again. 

"Can I take you out for dinner?" I asked, looking deeply into her eyes, "Of course." She answered, "We'll wait for you at the lobby, okay? Y/N, join us later!" Mom waved goodbye, leaving me and Y/N alone in the hallway. I inhaled as the awkward atmosphere took over the room, I packed my things while she cleared her throat.

I carried my case and we walked together, "How's life going?" I asked her, "It's not the same without you." She gulped and scoffed, I felt my face burning, "What about you?" Y/N asked the same question, "A little stressed but I can do this." I replied and looked down, "Hey Y/N, Hey Brett." We stopped walking as soon as Eddy appeared in front of us.

I grasped Y/N's hand, "You did good, Brett." Eddy patted my shoulders, his eyes flaring, "All eyes on you and not me. Once again. Seriously, Brett, you are fucking annoying." Y/N's eyebrows furrowed and held my hand tightly, "What the hell is wrong with you?! Back off, Y/N and I are leaving."

Then, there's a sudden pain from my jaw, realizing that the dumbass punched me. "Eddy, stop!" I hear Y/N yell as she helped me get up from the floor, "You're pathetic, Brett. My dreams, my goals, all of it are now crushed. You keep getting in my way and I wish you are dead!" Eddy's voice was shaking, my lips quivered upon hearing the last statement.

I wish you are dead!

I wish you are dead.

I wish I was dead.

I let out a sigh and wiped off the blood from my mouth, the excruciating pain from my jaw is unbearable. What a fucking idiot. "I swear to God, you're next!" Eddy walked out from the hallway, "Let's take you to the clinic." She insisted, "Right, thank you, Y/N.".

~~~

"Thankfully, there's nothing wrong with your jaw and your mouth. Just take these painkillers and make sure to change the bandages every 4 hours." I took a deep breath and thanked the doctor. We left the room as Y/N wretched in disbelief, "What a lame move. Eddy is a fool!" Y/N groaned and looked at me.

We were surprised by my mom, looking confused. "What happened?" She asked, concerned; I gulped and cleared my throat. If I tell the truth, will Eddy make the situation worse? I started to overthink, I'm so stressed out. "I-I fell face first while running in the hallway." I lied and forced a laugh. Y/N nudged her arm and glanced at me.

I brushed it off and we went out for dinner. The pain is still killing me and Eddy's last statement is stuck in my head. I never knew this would get worse. I stared at Y/N, happy and laughing while talking with my parents as I sip my coffee. She looks so beautiful especially when she smiles. Her twinkling eyes are distracting.

"Oh no, my mom is looking for me, I should get going now. Thank you so much for inviting me tonight. Don't forget your painkillers." Y/N grabbed her coat and left the house, "She's such a sweet girl, I just don't understand why you would breakup with her." My mom rested her head on her hand. I frowned and drank my coffee.

"How's your conversation with Eddy going, Brett?" I nearly spat my coffee, mom is still confused about my reactions whenever I hear his name, "Awful... I mean, great!" I raised my eyebrows and continued to sip my coffee, "I can't take this anymore. Mom, Eddy is a terrible, awful person. He did this." I pointed at my jaw.

Judging by my mother's look, she looks more confused than before, "Stay away from them especially that imbecile." I added, "He threatened to hurt Y/N if I win the competition. I have no choice but to breakup with her. Yeah, I'm dumb, no need to point it out. I can't think of any other way." I sighed and fiddled my fingers.

"I can't lose someone I love again, mom. I can't lose you, dad, Olaf and... Y/N. I've already lost the half of me." I explained as I try not to cry, "But your brother sent someone to complete you again. He sent Y/N to you." I can feel the lump in my throat, I looked down and smiled lightly. "You'll not lose her, I know it."

And I'll do anything for her. I'll risk my life for her.

Just please... don't take her away from me.

~~~

sorry for the long hiatus, school just ended this month yayyy, and its official, colors will end this year :(( but dont worry, i have more upcoming fanfictions to be published after this!

~cara