Thirty

BRETT'S POV

"Is this fine?" Y/N looked at me, handing me an envelope, "He's going to love it, Y/N."  I smiled as I fixed my hair, "C'mon let's go." I raised my eyebrows and turned on the car. It's New Year's Eve and our favorite tunes were playing on the radio. I parked the car and entered the building with Y/N.

"Deputy, is it fine I'll go have a talk with Eddy Chen for a moment? Oh—I also have a gift for him for Christmas and New Year." I asked, "Sure, as for the gifts, just put it in the box for the inspection." Y/N placed the gifts on the box as we waited for the deputy's orders. "Come follow me."

This was the first time I walked back in this hallway since the day I talked with Eddy. I heard the deputy talking to someone inside the cell. "Brett?" Eddy peeked from the door, "Hey Eddy. Merry Christmas, Y/N and I are here to give you something you might like." I gave him a soft smile, "Really? Thank you, Brett! Thank you, Y/N!" This is the first time when I actually saw Eddy happy.

"So, where are you guys going? Y'all look amazing." He asked, I looked at Y/N, "Oh, tonight's our year end party. I'm honestly not yet ready for the new year. I'm still processing things." She inhaled awkwardly, raising her eyebrows. "I'm sorry for everything. I should've—" "Eddy, we forgive you. What happened, it happened. There's nothing we can do to turn it back."

"I wish I could hug you right now, Brett and Y/N. Thank you for your kindness and thoughtfulness. I never felt so loved by you guys." Eddy grinned, "You're always welcome, Eddy. We have to go now, mom and dad are waiting for us at home." I stood up from the chair and smiled at him, "Send my regards to Mr. and Mrs. Yang!" Eddy waved goodbye as we did it too.

We drove back home as we were greeted by mom and dad, "Just in time, lovebirds! The bubble tea is ready!" "Aw yes, I love the Yang's bubble tea so much!" Y/N exclaimed, grabbing one of the glasses from the table. We played countless board games and we reminisced about our moments together with my family and Y/N.

~~~

It's 11:30 PM, my parents dozed off to sleep on the couch, leaving me and Y/N playing Monopoly in the living room. "Hah! I won." Y/N smiled, "You're too good at this." I laughed and looked at the peak where we used to hang out. "The fireworks would look amazing to see at the peak." She said, while cleaning up the mess on the coffee table. "Well, come on then! Let's celebrate our New Year in that place."

I fetched her my jacket as we drove off to the peak; that peak that witnessed everything about us. The cold breeze pinched my skin as I shivered, everything looked the same. The city was so busy preparing for New Year and the city was so bright this night.

I glimpsed at Y/N as she rested her head on my shoulder, "I'm so glad I get to celebrate New Year with you." She smiled and stared deeply into my eyes. After 20 minutes had passed, the city was starting to get noisy. The sound of the firecrackers and toy trumpets surrounded the whole city of Brisbane.

"Hey Y/N, what was your most unforgettable moment that happened this year?" I asked her, my arms slithered around her back, "Probably the roadtrip. We rebelled and had fun throughout the day. We shared our own stories about the places we've been in Brisbane! That memory has a special place in my heart. What about you, Brett?"

I chuckled and looked at her again, "The most unforgettable moment that happened this year was the moment you bumped onto me. It's amazing how my enemy turned into a friend, to a bestfriend, to my girlfriend..." I paused, "I'm sorry for hurting you, Y/N. I should've considered what you felt."

"It's okay, Brett. I completely understand. I know it hurts for the both of us. But you know, everybody deserves a chance." Her eyes sparkled like stars and gave her a hug. Then, we heard a loud countdown coming from the city. "Five, four, three, two, one!" The fireworks were exploding at the night sky as we both watched in glee.

It felt so surreal. It's been years since I've celebrated New Year with the one I love, six years ago. But now, I'm finally celebrating it with Y/N. She is the greatest treasure I've received in my life. "Happy New Year, Brett!" She cheered, "Happy New Year, Y/N!" We both glanced at the city lights and the fireworks from the sky as the moon started to shine brightly.

"I love you very much." I smiled at her.

"I love you more, Brett." She replied.

"Do you want to start your New Year with me as your boyfriend... again?" She chuckled as soon as she heard the last word I said, "How could I say no to you, Brett? Of course, I would love to!" Her eyes welled up as I wiped her tears away, feeling her lips onto mine.

"Thank you for bringing colors into my life, sweetheart. You are the greatest treasure I ever had."

"I want to be with you forever, I want to color our own world and journey together."

I used to hear a simple song
That was until you came along
Now in it's place is something new
I hear it when I look at you

~~~

Five years later...

Love may be cheesy. I hated it when I was a kid. I always find it gross or cringy.

But trust me, it can be a powerful weapon. So powerful that I see pink around me. I honestly thought that no one would love me the way my brother loved me.

But the universe sent me the most annoying person to ever exist on earth. And guess what? It turns out that she'll be the one I'll be spending my life with.

We went through a lot. It was painful for both of us but we managed to keep our bond strong.

We never let go with each other, we support each other, we understand each other, we love each other.

I may be stupid for the things I've done in our relationship (especially the breakup part) but Y/N... she really is different.

She still loves me despite my recklessness. And I love her for that.

I'm writing this to tell everyone that love is something we all need. It's not about the chocolates or flowers, remember that.

You don't need to rush to find love.

You don't need to pressure yourself to find love.

Maybe someday, a person will bump into you and end up breaking your old phone just because she's late for her violin lessons.

It's amazing how the person I hated the most, became my wife today.

As I stared at her while writing in my journal, I thought to myself, ‘I'm so glad I married this dork.’

"Come on, Brett! Let's dance!" She waved at me, gesturing to let me dance with her at the dance floor.

I would like to end this entry with a little quote by George Sand.

"There is only one happiness in this life, to love and be loved."

This is Brett Yang, married to Y/N L/N-Yang, signing off.

Goodnight and goodbye.

~~~

thank you so much for reading colors everyone! i couldnt do this without your undying support! the alternate ending of colors will soon be published! im also doing a little q and a! so leave some questions down below :))

i love you everyone and have a happy new year!

~cara