Sixteen

BRETT'S POV

It's been 3 months since the violin competition, everyday I get emails from other cities of Australia and one from America. Right now, I'm performing in front of professional musicians with world's greatest soloists watching me on the front row. I see my colleagues from the very back of the room, and as I finish the piece, I see a familiar figure by the fire exit, looking at me. I froze, hearing the applauses from the crowd. I quickly bowed and went backstage.

I breathed heavily and gulped, "Is he real?" I asked to myself, "Hey Mr. Soloist!" I looked up and saw Y/N, handing me a bottle of water, "You sound amazing, no wait, I meant beautiful." She smiled at me as she pulled a hug, "Thank you, love. It's nerve-racking out there." I shivered and laughed, "Y/N call me crazy but..." She hummed and glared into my eyes, ready to listen, "I-I think I saw him again." Shocked, she stopped fixing my tie and sighed.

"You don't have to worry, Brett. Remember, I'm here for you and whatever happens, I will do anything to keep you safe." She gave me a peck on my cheeks and grinned, I felt much safer when I'm around her, "By the way, Olaf said you're having dinner with the soloists down the grand hall." My eyes went round and froze, "Don't worry about me, enjoy your moment now. Anyway, I'll be waiting for you outside the grand hall." "Thank you, love." I gave her a small kiss as she left the backstage.

I walked down the lobby as I sense people staring at me. Whispers and mumbles were all I heard from them, "Hello Brett!" I look up to see, "Hilary!" My eyes sparkled as her genuine smile made my heart beat faster, "I'm so glad you played violin again, it's been a long time since you played." She said enthusiastically while holding both of my shoulders, "Come on, everybody's waiting for you inside, especially Ray and—" Wait, that bastard is here? "Don't you love reunions?" I highkey hate reunions, I'm sorry.

It's a good thing that I bumped onto Hilary for now. What if I didn't though? Damn, that's gotta be awkward when I'm actually walking to the center of the hall. I would simply faint because of my awkwardness, "Have a seat, Brett Yang." Ray greeted me with a plastic smile, I gave him a lopsided grin and sat next to Ray. God, I can't believe I'm sitting right next to a bastard. "You better wait for dinner because we still have one last guest to wait." Ray rolled his eyes and continued talking to the other soloists.

I sat there in silence, observing everyone on the table. I only know Ray and Hilary, but I assume these other soloists are my colleagues, I forgot half of them. "What's taking him so long?" Ray complained and checked his wrist watch as the door slammed open, catching attention from the whole table, "There he is, what a grand entrance." He clicked his tongue and smirked. A tall masculine figure, in an all-black clothing with square eyeglasses, his hair is dark brown and messy with flaring looking eyes.

"Don't you love reunions?" I get it now, Hilary. My loud thoughts left the last sentence redacted after hearing Ray's name, shit. It's him, it's really him. "Welcome back, Eddy." Ray murmured to himself and looked at me, I was petrified when I saw him walk in, I quickly looked away from him and tried to distract myself, "It's been so long since we saw you! How's Austria?" I can hear Hilary talk directly to Eddy, I'm still trying my best for him not to notice me. "Austria is beautiful, no regrets in staying there for years."

His voice is deeper now, his expressions and body language are still the same. Some people don't really change much, "Oh, hey Brett." I flinched, his heavy hands tapped on my shoulder, "Hey Eddy." I replied and glanced him in the eyes, "You look much more different when I saw you last." Eddy's eyes were flaring like an angry flame, "That was 6 years ago, people change." I furrowed my eyebrows and smiled, "True." He got off his hands from my shoulder and sat down across from me.

I can feel the tension between us. And so just you know, Hilary, this isn't the reunion I wanted for now. Everybody is talking with each other while I sit and wait for the food to be served. After this dinner, I'm staying for 15 minutes then zoom out of the venue, it's not that hard. As the food was served, I can feel Eddy's glare. Brett, you have no reason to be angry. "Excuse me, I'll let myself out to get some fresh air." I stood up as I heard the chair screech in front of me, "I'll go with Brett." I inhaled sharply.

I walked away as quickly as possible and went out of the building, breathing heavily as if someone is chasing me, it's really you. This is an unexpected meeting, now's not the time. "What happened back there?" I hear Eddy call from afar and chuckled, "Are you surprised to see me?" His shoes tapped against the concrete, getting closer and closer to me, "I'm asking you one question and I want you to answer directly to the point." I don't want to say it, "Ask away, Brett." He shrugged and giggled like a damn retard.

"Actually, nevermind." I exhaled and pressed my lips, "Okay then. I know you're gonna ask me about your brother," Eddy and I made an eye contact, our eyes flaring with each other, "I have no regrets." Eddy smiled devilishly and laughed like a maniac, " I bet dinner is served now, come on, let's go back. They're probably waiting for us." Eddy put back his hands on his pocket and walked away from me, I held back my tears, I grimaced in pain as I clenched my fists. "Hurry up." He called. I can't do anything but to get angry at myself.

It's my fault why a friend turned into an enemy.

It's my fault why I lose anything that means so much to me.

And it's my fault why my brother is gone.

Everything is my fault.

~~~

i hope i didn't make you cry bc i did cry at this chapter
~cara