Thirteen

BRETT'S POV

5 days before the violin competition...

I've been practicing for a week now. The competition will be this Friday, I don't know what to feel. I'm hoping to see Edward Chen again, and considering him punching in the face. That spawn from the damned, how could he do this to me, to my family, I thought we were friends, this is all my fault! I finished off my piece as Mr. Grawert's jaw dropped, "That felt... different than before." I inhaled deeply and sighed, red. I feel angry. "The piece felt so intense."

"Sir, do you still remember my acquaintance, Edward Chen?" I finally have the guts to ask professor, I looked at him and sighed, "Eddy was a great student, everybody adored his playing when he first performed on stage. You're great friends with him. But he just vanished after losing the Menuhin competition. Some say he moved to Austria and lived a peaceful life with his family. No one knows." He explained as I groaned, hearing my phone ringing from my pocket.

"God, it's Y/N." I rolled my eyes and answered the call, "I'm in the middle of practicing here, what do you want?" I asked, hearing her stutter on the phone, "O-Oh, I just wanted to ask how you're feeling and how your practices are going." I scoffed on the phone, "Look, I'm doing fine, my practices are great. Can you stop calling me?" "S-Sorry, I'm just very worried about you." I hung up the call and looked at professor.

I sighed, "I-It's Y/N." He widened his eyes, as if he's shocked, "A friend of yours?" He asked me, my eyebrows furrowed, "A-Ah, w-what? N-No." I stuttered and looked at professor. "So, should we start again?" I nodded and breathed deeply. For Brent, for my parents, for Y/N. Kreutzer, Beethoven; my brother's favorite violin sonata, the reason why I started to learn the violin and it's masterpiece. I never play this piece the same way again. All I think is my brother, the day he departed. I lost it, all I felt is anger.

Red, anger. You're making me feel red, Edward Chen. You're the reason why I felt this way. I hate you, I despise you. Are we even friends in the first place? I want to see you, I need to talk to you, I want to know why you did it, I want to ask you something. You vicious, malicious, vile fiend. I want to know the reason, I want to know why you betrayed me. Eddy Chen, you're such an execrable, atrocious human being! I finished off the piece, sweating and breathing heavily.

Professor took off his glasses, bewildered by my playing. "Anger." He whispered, I panted and wiped off my sweat. "Is it Eddy Chen?" He asked, my eyes widened, "It's him. Everytime I play this piece, I always think that day when my brother... lost his life. This was my comfort piece. And it's long gone." My eyes started water, "Oh, boy." Professor pulled me hug, my tears started falling. Goddammit, it's all my fault. If I did what Edward told me, my brother is still here. "I don't think I can do this, professor."

Black. Fear. I never felt this frightened before, I feel like... I should quit. I only think about what happened that day. The day when my world went distinct. I hear muffled noises, I don't find peace when I see my violin. I always think that the lessons will distract me but no. "Cry it all out, Brett." Professor hugged me as I finally hugged him back, I can't take all of this pain anymore. "I'm afraid, professor. I only see his face, I'm afraid that I'll mess up on the competition." I sniffed and wiped my tears away.

"Everybody makes mistakes, Brett. I know you can do this. You are brave, strong and even a fighter, you never fail to amaze me, Brett. You can do this. We're rooting for you." Professor smiled at me, I grinned and wiped my tears away, "Thank you professor." I sighed and put on my eyeglasses, "Do you want to take a break?" I nodded as professor stood up and went to the kitchen to make tea, "I am a fighter." I whispered to myself, my phone lit up and saw Y/N's name on the screen. I grabbed my phone to see what she's texting.