Twenty

BRETT'S POV

The competition is around the corner, I keep getting better and better everyday. As soon as I finished the piece, Olaf looked at me and smiled, "It's almost perfect." He complimented and gave me a hug, "Same time tomorrow, okay? Keep practicing, practice makes perfect." I chuckled and packed my things, "Of course, I'll see you tomorrow." I waved goodbye and left his home. As usual, I walked to the main road and checked my messages, 9:20 p.m., Y/N texted me that she'll go to bed early.

I hope she's having a good sleep. "Hey prodigy!" I widened my eyes and turned around to see, "Ray? What the hell are you doing at this hour?" I looked at him and squinted my eyes, "Eddy wanted to talk to you about something. He's waiting for you at the coffee shop." "Have you been following me?" I asked him but he didn't answer, "Shut up, just go talk to him." Ray pushed me from the back, gesturing to go to Eddy. What does he want now? I entered the coffee shop and there he is, still wearing his favorite all black suit. "Hey." He greeted with a smile.

I sat down across him and sighed, "Let's get this over with. I have something to do tomorrow morning." I scoffed and rolled my eyes, Eddy looked at me in disbelief and chuckled, "I don't have much to say. Good luck on your competition this week, I'll be watching you." I stood up from my seat and gave him a fake smile, "If that's all, thank you. I'm leaving." I started to walk away but he started talking again, "I'll be watching your colors disappear again." He finished. I stopped walking and looked at him, "You heard me right, Brett."

"My parents will be watching me perform on the competition as well, and you better not ruin everything. I was happy, very happy. Not until you came back, I have someone to please, Brett. You get a lot of support but not me. All eyes on you and not me, the amount of love you get but I have none. I have no choice but to ruin your life, to let you feel the same as what I felt before." Eddy stopped for a while, "But that Y/N girl, she brought you back. It's amazing." "Don't you dare hurt her, scumbag." I walked towards him, clenching my fists. Black and red. Fear and anger.

I breathe rapidly and glared at Eddy, smiling like a psycho, "Hurt her? You're stupid." My brain said 'no', a punch in the face can't change anything. I sighed and gritted my teeth, "Anyway, good luck for the Menuhin." He stood up and walked past me, I have nothing to say, I was silent, "Oh and most importantly," Eddy spoke, "Good luck on trying to see colors again." He left with a small smirk on his face. I don't know what to do, I don't want her to get hurt, I don't want to be the same as before. Black and red showered over my head. Overthinking and anxiety kicks in.

I stood silent as Ray and Eddy fled from the store, I'm shaking, I'm scared, I couldn't move, Eddy's words keep repeating in my head. I exit the shop and walked home, still thinking about what happened a while ago. I must protect her, I must protect Y/N. And that's a promise. "Brett, what took you so long?" I was greeted by my mom at the door, worried, "I stopped by the coffee shop. I'm going to bed." I rushed upstairs and sat on my bed, I can't help but think about it.  I tried to sleep but I can't. I forced myself to go to bed but I just can't.

I stared at the ceiling and eventually fell asleep after an hour. I checked my phone and see Y/N's name in my lockscreen, she texted me an hour ago. I groaned and grabbed my glasses beside my pillow. Eddy is still stuck in my head, every word he said, every chuckle he lets out after talking. Everything about him is... haunting me, "Brett," A knock intervened my thoughts as I startled. I opened the door and saw mom, "Finally, you're awake. Y/N stopped by earlier to see if you're awake. She told me you're going out on a date with her at the coffee shop. She's waiting for you." Wait, what date?

"Oh uh, I'll go get ready." I went back upstairs and locked my room. I check my messages and eyes were round, "I'm probably out of my mind when I sent these messages." I took a quick shower and changed my clothes. I sighed and looked at myself in the mirror. I'm scared, frustrated and sad; all these emotions mixed up. I took a deep breath and left the house as I walk in the coffee shop. There she is, still beautiful as ever, sipping her favorite drink. I enter the shop and tapped her on the shoulders, "Brett!" She greeted me with her beautiful smile as she planted a small kiss on my cheek.

I sat down across her and grinned, "How are your practices going?" She asked, I stuttered and cleared my throat, "It's fine, my hands are hurting though." I scoffed and looked down, "I miss you so much, Y/N. I wish we could spend more time together." I held her warm hands and inhaled sharply, "Well, we can spend time together right now!" I shouldn't be feeling like this. Everything is still in black, red and blue. "Yeah, we should." My head is still empty except for Eddy. The wrecker, the ruiner, the monster. Y/N is still wearing that beautiful smile of hers.

We spent the whole morning and afternoon, driving to places where we first met, our first date and our first lunch together. As the sun sets, she took me to the peak, when everything happened; our first kiss, asking her to be my girlfriend. "Nothing changed." She whispered as the breeze of the wind pinched my skin, my hands were cold. I don't know what to say. The tears blinded my eyes, the city lights slowly appeared as the sky turned dark. I look at Y/N, my precious Y/N. I'll miss you.

I don't care if I'll lose my colors, it's the only way I can save you.

~~~

pls prepare tissues on the next chap! thanks for reading!

~ cara