Chapter 38

I jump out of Sarah's bed at 4am. I haven't seen Rafe in two months so I have to look my best today. Plus I couldn't even sleep. I'm so nervous I can't settle down and close my eyes. I did get in a couple of hours of sleep but it wasn't a deep sleep. I kept getting up to pee which has been a big issue as of late since I don't sleep good anymore.

My morning routine begins with a hot shower. I shave and exfoliate because well... you know. I use my favorite shampoo, so my hair looks it's best and my favorite body wash so I smell my best too. Did I mention I'm nervous? Whatever. This day is going to be good. I'm speaking it out into the universe. Nothing is going to bring me down today. I'm just trying to hype myself up and get rid of the nerves. Which probably won't happen but I can at least try.

Sarah asked me to wake her up when I get out of the shower so she can take one herself. "Sarah I'm out of the shower." I whisper and shake her.

"Mmmkay." She mumbles, letting out a snore.

I laugh to myself and get out my makeup. I know he says I look beautiful without makeup but I have to cover these stress zits and dark circles somehow.

And the morning goes just like that. My makeup done, I've blown my hair dry and I've eaten some breakfast. I only have to brush my teeth and change clothes before we leave. When I'm done, we head out to the SUV and drive to the ferry.

"Is everyone excited to bring Rafe home?" Ward asks.

"Yes!" Wheezie exclaims.

Sarah nods, "Yeah I missed him. But y'all don't tell him that."

I laugh at her, "I'm gonna tell him."

"Bitch, don't you dare!" She pushes me playfully.

"Sarah Elizabeth Cameron! Language!" Her dad says.

She rolls her eyes, "Come on, dad. You act like you've never cussed before."

In a monotone voice while looking at her phone, Rose says, "Sarah listen to your dad."

Oh God here we go... please don't start a fuss.

Luckily, I'm spared the fight because Sarah just rolls her eyes and ignores her. But I know exactly what she's thinking in her head.

I'm broken from my thoughts when Ward asks me, "Haley?"

"Uh yes?" I ask him.

He's looking at me through the rear view mirror, "Are you ready to see Rafe?"

"Of course I am!" I say.

After that, no one says anything else. Sometimes this family is weird. Specifically Ward and Rose but I think we all know that.

We pull into the parking lot, get out and walk to the stand to present our tickets. The ticket guy lets us through to board the boat. My heart is beating out of my chest. In about two hours, I will get to see him, hug him and kiss him. I've been looking forward to that every day for the past sixty days.

The five of us find seats together and get as comfortable as possible while we wait for the boat to leave the dock. Ward tells us, "They will be having a little ceremony where they are going to present the ones graduating with a sixty day coin. So we won't get to see him right away but as soon as the ceremony is over, then we will see him."