Chapter 29

The next morning the group packed up their things and said goodbye to Obi-Wan's little home. As they trekked through the sand once again, Rex kept a close eye on Ahsoka. She didn't seem to slow or grow tired, which reassured Rex, but he still watched.

Cody bumped his shoulder gently from where he walked beside his brother. "Relax brother. We don't need you passing out from heat and stressing about everyone but yourself." Cody said quietly.

Rex gave him a defeated look. "You know I can't help it, Codes." The commander nodded. "I do. But you aren't responsible for them like you were for your battalion. We all look out for each other. So, relax a bit." He responded, giving Rex a pat on the back. Rex let out a gruff agreement. "Fine, fine."

"Only a little further." Obi-Wan called back to them. On the horizon was a moisture farm where little Luke resided. As much as she tried, Ahsoka couldn't keep the smile from her face. She was excited. The closer the small home came into view, the more her anticipation grew.

She quickened her pace slightly to catch up with Obi-Wan. "Who is he with? What family does he have on Tatooine?" She asked quietly. Obi-Wan gave her a side glance. "He is with Anakin's half-brother and his wife." He answered shortly. Ahsoka nodded. "He is in good hands, then?" Obi-Wan gave a small nod. "He is."

Satisfied with the ex-jedi's answer, Ahsoka turned her gaze back in front if her. She could hear the boys just behind her as they chatted and could now almost perfectly see the house up ahead.

The group stopped just outside the small house and Obi-Wan spoke up. "I will go in and ask of it's alright for us to visit." He explained, descending down the stairs and disappearing. Rex stood next to Ahsoka while Cody stood not far off.

They waited in silent anticipation until Obi-Wan's uburn hair rose up from the steps. He poked his head up and gestured down. "Come along." He said quietly. Ahsoka took a breath before glancing at Rex. He gave her a nod, slipping her hand into his own.

Cody gestured them forward and waited just outside the doorway as they descended down the steps. He gave a quick glance around to check for any threats, then climbed down after his squad.

Obi-Wan was waiting for them when they entered the small house, a young women standing beside him with a friendly but cautious smile.

"This is Beru Lars, wife of Anakin's half-brother, Owen Lars." Obi-Wan introduced, then motioned to the group. Ahsoka stepped forward. "I am Ahsoka Tano, this is Rex and Cody. Thank you for allowing us to come to your home. It means a lot to us." Ahsoka smiled.

Beru nodded, her smile growing slightly as she became more comfortable. "It is my pleasure. I will have to excuse my husband, he is working outside on the generators and will not be in for a while, but please, follow me. Luke is just napping." She turned and made her way into the house.

The group made an effort to be as quiet as possible as they walked through the house. Ahsoka and Rex were close behind Beru as Cody and Obi-Wan walked silently behind them.

"I am very sorry about your Master, dear one." Beru said quietly, turning to Ahsoka. The Togruta gave her a sad smile. "I only met him once, but I can see him in you. His firey spirit." Beru continued as they made their way over to a seating area.

"Thank you." Ahsoka whispered. Beru smiled. "Can I get you anything?" She asked the group as they settled down on the various seats around the small space. They all stayed silent, their old habits of expecting nothing other than what they were given keeping them from speaking up, even if they were thirsty after their journey.

Beru smiled, understanding. "I'll bring you all water." She shuffled out of the room. Rex scooted up close to Ahsoka on the seat she had claimed and she pressed into his side. "You feel okay?" Rex asked quietly, placing a gentle kiss on the tip of her montral.