Chapter 33

The battle had lasted hours. And the Mandalorian's defeat had not been expected. By anyone.

They fought valiantly, but the Empire knew what it was doing this time around. And they had help from the inside. The traitorous Gar Saxon had been recruited by Admiral Tarkin and they had squeezed them hard.

Robyn and the cadets had gotten the children to safety in the bunker beneath the palace, only for the enemy Mandalorians to find their hiding spot and pull them out.

They had lined their prisoners up and were keeping a watchful eye on them when a group of the older Mandalorian's came to rescue them. They were able to get only a few out, including Robyn, Korkie and the other cadets. To Robyn's horror, Sabine had been ripped from her arms and they were forced to leave her behind. Ursa had stayed behind, sacrificing her freedom for her ruler as Bo Katan, Cody, Rex, Ahsoka, Robyn, the cadets and a few others made it off-world.

Once they had escaped off the planet, the shock finally set in, hitting them like a speeder as their previous adrenaline and fear all but dissolved. Robyn was shaking furiously as Ahsoka and Korkie attempted to calm her, and Bo Katan had a look of pure agony in her eyes.

Bo left the cockpit of the gauntlet shuttle they had escaped in and made her way to the back of the ship. She could no longer see her beloved planet as they sped through hyperspace, but she still stared out the window where it would have been.

The door whooshed behind her and footsteps came near. She didn't have to look to know who it was as they stood behind her, wrapping their arms around her torso.

"Bo." Cody whispered, his voice hoarse and slightly shaky. "I am so, so sorry." He said, pulling her closer to his chest in a tight hug. She said nothing, only shook her head.

"I let them down. The whole planet. My people." Bo said coarsely, her body going limp in Cody's arms as she sank to the floor. He lowered himself down with her and she fell into his arms. As he let his head rest on hers, her body shook in a silent sob.

No more words were shared between the couple. They sat in silence until the ship jumped out of hyperspace the next morning.

~•~

Ahsoka really hated Tatooine. Once again she was forced to treck through the blistering heat and gritty sand of the desert planet. She would have to get used to it though. She glanced to her side when a grunt of discomfort sounded beside her.

Robyn had been keeping up slowly, her legs still shaking from the trauma of the attack, but the scorching sand wasn't helpful at all. "You doing okay, Robyn?" Ahsoka asked, moving closer to her. The girl nodded, stumbling slightly, but still managing to stay on her feet.

Rex moved up beside the girls, gently taking hold of Robyn's arm and drapping it over his shoulders. The girl seemed as though she would protest, but the clone had done the action so earnestly, she couldn't bring herself to do so.

Cody, Bo Katan, and Korkie walked a couple paces ahead of the small group of Mandalorians. They had come with more, but the others had stayed in Mos Eisley to watch the ship. They would remain there for the time being.

Bo hadn't said a word to anybody but Cody. Even then, she had only spoken a few seconds at a time. She couldn't bring herself to say anything. Not only was she suffering the loss of her planet, she was imagining the horrible things the Empire would be doing to her people. The people she had been forced to leave behind.

Ahsoka walked a few steps ahead of Rex and Robyn to catch up with Bo, her nephew and Cody. "We aren't far now." She said, giving Bo a soft smile. The Mand'alor could only offer a nod, so Cody smiled for her.