Chapter 38

Rex and Ahsoka met Bo Katan and Cody in the conference room where Malin was already patiently waiting. She gave them all a nod, and they sat. Malin took the floor and reported what she had discovered. Once she was done, Rex stood and she took a seat.

"The clone that sent the hologram is CC-5576, a clone commando by the name of Gregor." He explained. Grabbing the small disk Malin had given him, he put it in the holotable. It sprang to life before the group, the figure of a clone appearing in the blue glow.

"This is CC-5576, transmitting from the planet Daro. I'm hoping this reaches anyone who could help me. I need to get off this planet." He paused, glancing around timidly. His voice was light and scratchy, almost unrecognizable as the voice of a clone. "The Empire has brought all the Clone Commado's to the base to train their new line of recruited soldiers." He gave an amused scoff, somehow finding humour in his dire situation. "I guess they have no need for us clones anymore. These rookies definitely don't have the same loyalty as us clones, but they get paid, have living and food, so they're happy. I've had enough of the Empire's bantha osik. I'm not training more of my enemies." He growled.

"Tonight I will make my escape. I am requesting a rescue mission, since I have no way off-world. I'll set a tracker somewhere on the planet as an aid to locate me in the probability of my capture. Help would be very much appreciated." He gave a somewhat scratchy chuckle that seemed to grate out of his throat.

The transmission ended and a silence fell over the room. The wording of the request seemed to slightly shock everyone and nobody could figure out if he had been completely serious the whole time. Finally, Bo Katan let out a quiet snort and Cody burst out laughing. Rex and Ahsoka chuckled while Malin looked confused.

"I think he's been blown up far too many times." Cody laughed. They all chuckled at that. Rex turned to Malin. "How long ago was this transmission sent?" He asked. She cleared her throat. "Just over a week and half ago, sir." He nodded. "So he's already tried to escape. He's most likely in the brig. Or dead. Whoever we send is gonna have to break him out of there." Rex stated.

Cody let out a chuckle. "I think I know just the people for the job."

~•~

"We're being hailed. It's... Rex." Hunter glanced up at Echo as he spoke, sheathed his vibro-blade. The Bad Batch gathered around the forming glow of the captain's hologram.

"Hello, boys. Sorry to cut right to it, but I could use your help." His face was obscured by a hood, his location unknown. "What do you need, Captain?" Hunter asked.

"I received a distress signal from a clone trooper, but I'm unable to retrieve him due to..." He paused. Sighing, he looked at the group. "We've been forced off Mandalore. I'm keeping an even lower profile now that the Empire's after us."

Hunter narrowed his eyes in slight confusion. "Forced off? The Empire took over?" He asked. Rex gave him a somber nod. Hunter looked thoughtful. "You want us to recover a reg?" Rex nodded again. "He's an old friend, and he's in trouble. I need you to get him out."

Omega glanced up at her big brothers. "Out of what exactly?" Hunter asked. Rex looked off to the side, and voices could be heard quietly discussing something. Rex glanced back at them. "A secret Imperial base. Unfortunately, that's all I can tell you over comms." Hunter nodded in understanding, though he felt slightly annoyed at not having more information.

Rex gave them all a salute. "Thank you, boys. I'll keep in touch. Let me know when you retrieve him and I'll give you more details." With that, the captain was gone, leaving the Bad Batch in slight confusion at the rushed interaction.

"Well, guess we're saving reg's now." Tech said pointedly, ignoring Echo's glare at the statement. Hunter moved up to Tech. "Pull up the signal and any information on the planet."

~•~

The room was dark as the blue hologram disappeared. Rex pulled off his hood and sat down. Glancing at Ahsoka, he noticed she was smiling slightly. "What?" He asked.

"It was just nice to see Echo. Even through a hologram." She said. Cody nodded in agreement. Rex smiled softly. "How did you recognize him?" He asked. She shrugged. "I know his face. I could also sense it." She chuckled.

Rex gave a shrug, smiling slightly. Bo Katan's comlink let out a chirp and she stood. "I have a meeting with the senators. Please excuse me." She strode out of the dark room, letting the door shut behind her. Cody pursed his lips.

"Now what?" He asked. Rex glanced at his brother. "We wait."