Chapter 35

The crew packed up their things and were set to go just as the suns went down. They had only been on the desert planet for a couple hours, but just enough time for the Mandalorians, nonetheless. Their new life would require moving around more than they liked, and this was only the beginning.

Ahsoka quietly departed from the group before they were to take off and climbed up the peak near their camp. A warm breeze moved the sand across the endless wasteland, ruffling the robe around Ahsoka's shoulders. She pulled it tighter around her head, protecting her montrals from the gritty sand as it whirled about. At the top, she was able to look out for miles. From above, she now appreciated the real peacefulness and, even beauty of the planet as it stretched out before her.

She could sense that this was a sacred place to her old master, a place he often visited to meditate and take in the view. Ahsoka sat with her legs crossed and lowered her hood, as the breeze was softer up here. She took one last look at the setting suns, peeking over the horizon before disappearing then closed her eyes. She drew in a breath as she centered herself. It had been a long time since she'd done this, but it was second nature. The familiarity of meditation seeped over her and she sank into the feeling.

Below, she could sense her family as they milled about, waiting to leave the dusty planet. Further, she could sense little Luke, asleep in his home. She smiled. A presence approached behind her, their footfalls breaking her concentration. She opened her eyes, smile only growing as Rex sat beside her.

"You found a good spot up here." He mused, gazing out over the sandy terrain. Ahsoka nodded, slipping her arm around his and linking them together. He glanced down at her with a content smile.

"Do you ever miss it?" She blurted out unexpectedly. Rex narrowed his eyes in confusion. "Miss what?" Ahsoka looked down, blushing slightly. "The war." The clone was taken aback. "Why would I miss the war?" He forced his voice to be gentle.

"I mean the times during the war. Not the fighting and destruction, but the good times when we weren't on the field or even when we were, but not actively in combat." She explained. Rex nodded. "I see." He paused, pursing his lips slightly. "Put that way, yeah, I suppose I do. I miss the comradery of it. With you and the general and the boys. It's crazy how it's already been over a year since it ended." He said quietly. Ahsoka nodded, letting out a soft sigh.

"Do you?" He asked. "Yeah. I think I just miss familiarity. More than anything now." She gave a dry chuckle. Rex understood that. He took a breath. "The boys were heartbroken when you left. It took a long time to get used to not having you around, especially on the battlefield." He admitted.

She gave a sad smile. "It took a while for me to adjust too. Being alone was hard." She paused, smirking. "Only the boys were heartbroken?" She asked, nudging his shoulder with her own.

He laughed, his cheeks flushing slightly. "Yeah, I missed you too. A lot. You were like my really annoying little sister that I loved even if she constantly scared the haran out of me and made me contemplate the reason I put up with you sometimes. But I always loved you. Even before I knew what that meant." He smiled down at her as she burst out laughing. "Its funny how we went from loving siblings, to loving... whatever this is." She chuckled out once she had mostly caught her breath and pointed between them.

Rex gave a nervous smile. "How about loving husband and wife?" Ahsoka's laughter seized and she sucked in a breath. "What?" She gasped, her eyes wide and hopeful. Rex unlinked his arm from hers and knelt in front of her. Ahsoka let out a shocked half laugh, half sob as he took her hand in his.

"Ahsoka Tano, I love you more than anything in the galaxy. You are the one thing that keeps me going when times are tough and it would make me the happiest man alive if you would marry me." A tear slid down Ahsoka's cheek as she nodded. "Yes. Yes, I will marry you." She said softly, the tears a steady flow now. She moved to wipe them from her face, but Rex beat her to it. He chuckled quietly, a happy and relieved sound.