Ch. 1: Rebirth

I wake up in a cold sweat from the nightmare I just had. Everything felt so real. It started out with me waking up to the smell of pancakes. I walk downstairs to see Peeta. His arms slip around my waist and he kisses me on my forehead. I smile taking in his scent as we hug. He goes to flip a pancake and out of no where the ground starts to shake. "Go. Katniss. Get out of here! Go!" he yells just as he did in the 74th Hunger Games sending chills down my spine. "No! I can't and won't leave you!" I say running to him but the ceiling caves in separating us. I hear the deafening sound of Snow's laugh and smell the toxic scent of enhanced roses. I start to shake violently along with ear piercing screams and flowing tears and that's how I awake.

"Katniss. I'm leaving! I'll be back in a few hours!" Greasy Sae calls to me before I hear the door shut. I roll out of bed not bothering to brush my hair or fix my sheets. Walking down the stairs, I hear a familiar hiss. "Oh shut up you old stupid cat." I speak getting another hiss in return.

I walk into the kitchen and see a plate full of bacon and eggs. I eat a couple of bites before putting it away. My bare feet feel cool against the hardwood. Something's different. I can sense it. The sun shines through the windows and the scent of pine cleaner fills the air. I go to check the date and sure enough it's spring. The months have passed by slowly but surely. I decide it's finally time to go out. More specifically, time to go to the meadow that's buzzing with life by now.

I step into the bathroom and strip of my day old clothes. I turn the water to a scalding hot temperature and step in. I immediately relax in muscles I didn't even know we're tensed. My matted hair begins to feel heavy with all the water it's absorbed. I wash it with a lavender scented shampoo. After washing my body, I step out and into my room with nothing on but a towel. I sit on the edge of the empty bed brushing out the tangles that consume my hair until all that's left is long wavy brown strands of dampened hair.

I rise and walk I the closet pulling out blue skinny jeans and an orange top. After putting on all of my clothes, including socks and all, I slip on my hunting jacket an boots. My hunting jacket is comfortable, like home, like my family all together, like the boy with the bread, like love. I braid my hair in its usual style and walk back downstairs. I get a glimpse of myself through the mirror and I look renewed and refreshed except for the bags that are apparent under my seam eyes. I sigh and grab my hunting bag as I walk out the door for the first time in months.

A/N: here's ch.1! I decided to write something other than the Tf trilogy so TADA!