Chapter Thirty-Nine

-Hayes POV-

Smiling, I nod at her request and walk swiftly out the door into the hallway and head for the stairs.

Is she gonna break up with me?

No Hayes that's stupid. Shut up.

I tell myself as I reach the stairs. "Hey." Tessa calls from behind me. I pause and look at her and try not to seem nervous. "You gonna wait?" She asks.

I nod, swallowing a bit to calm myself down. Tessa takes my hand and stares at me for a moment. Her soft grip makes me smile a bit. Then she looks away and pulls me down the stairs.

"So..." I begin, not really knowing what to say. Her grip tightens and I can tell she's not herself. Or at least a little hesitant.

Walking outside, we cautiously step down the front porch stairs considering it rained quite a bit last night.

We walk along the beach for awhile in silence. I can defiantly tell something's up, I'm just praying for the best at the moment.

"So what's on your mind?" I ask glancing at her. Her blank expression doesn't change, but her eyes twitch slightly at my question.

She doesn't respond for a few moments. Then I feel her in inhale a bit.

"I leave in like two weeks Hayes..." She states softly. I feel something catch in my throat hearing that. Even though I hate the thought of it, I know it's true.

"Yeah..." I blankly answer like an idiot. I care a lot, but how does a guy show it? Especially some kid like me?

She sighs. Shifting her hand in my grip a bit, making me realize I was holding on rather tight.

"We started dating two days ago, and I leave soon. Literally, leave. Like back across the country."

I frown. "Yeah. That's okay."

She stops and looks at me. "How will that work Hayes? You'll be on tour while I'm sitting in my bedroom 98% of the time bored out of my mind. There'll be probably not much contact."

I smile. "Then come on tour with us! It'll be so fun." I say excitedly knowing how much of a great time we'd have.

She shakes her head. "I can't. I've got school work, and my parents want me home. They'd feel better if I was safe."

"How are you safe at home by yourself all the time?" I say with a hint of anger as my annoyance of her parents irresponsibility grows.

"It doesn't matter. All I know is that I'm heading home on Friday next week and I have to go. I just want to know where that leaves us."

Silence falls for what seems like an eternity as we continue walking along hand in hand. The waves ripple along the sand and flow underneath Tessa's bare feet and mine when I realize, I still got my shoes on.

"Crap." I mutter running a bit from the water. Tessa laughs watching me as I struggle to get my socks and shoes off. Finally getting them off, I toss them aside and run after her.

Skipping along the wet sand, Tessa looks hilarious as she tries dodge my grip.

This reminds of a familiar date...

Finally scooping her up, I twirl her around in my arms before setting her down. Turning her around, she gazes into my eyes for a long moment.

Smiling, I pull her into a tight embrace and whisper into her hair.

"I'll never leave you..."

And I can feel her smile against my chest. An actual smile, the first in a while, and I can tell.

________________

~Life is ehhhhh but I'm typing don't worry. I still love this story and it's no where near done.

~I won't leave us hangin' hangin' I'll give you some. (My cheesiness obviously)

~Bye guys ;)

| Natalie Richards |