Chapter Nineteen

-Tessa's POV-

I set my phone down and lean back in my lawn chair next to the pool. The bitter smell of chlorine fills my nose as a small gust of wind blows through.

I hear the sound of metal sliding across the cement and open my eyes to see Madison scooting her chair closer to mine.

I smile at her.

"Today was great." She says leaning back in her chair.

Automatically, I nod. Even though it altogether really wasn't.

She wears a navy blue and white striped bikini and has her hair pulled in a neat bun.

She is the definition of perfection. Why wouldn't Hayes kiss her?

Pushing the thought aside, I turn my attention to the pool.

Mahogany, Sky, Nash and Carter wade in the pool swimming along Sky. Elizabeth sits on the edge of the pool watching and clapping as Skylynn swims.

I smile and stand.

Walking over to the edge, I dip my legs in and flinch at the cold.

I watch as Sky slowly doggy-paddles over to Mahogany wearing her bright pink floaties. Mahogany laughs as Sky reaches her and picks her up.

"Take me to the deep end!" Skylynn says pointing to the deeper spot in the pool. Mahogany nods and wades over with Sky hanging at her hip.

I feel someone behind me and turn to see Matt standing behind me.

A wide grin stretched across his face.

"No." I say firmly.

His smile grows wider and he leans down toward me.

"Matthew no!" I shriek as he grabs me and pushes me into the water.

The cold water freezes my body and I quickly surface.

Matthew rocks back and forth at the edge of the cement dying in laughter. Nash and Carter join in his laughter.

I glare at him playfully and splash a large wave of water over the pool wall, soaking him in water.

His laughter quickly turns into a gasp then the chattering of his teeth.

He rubs his arms and glares at me.

"You're going to get it." He growls.

I laugh. "I'm already wet!"

He grins.

Getting to his feet he runs to the edge and cannon-balls into the pool next to me.

I'm swallowed by his wave and take in a large breath.

When I surface again, I realize that Elizabeth is completely soaked in water.

"Matt! Look what you did!" I laugh jumping out and grabbing Elizabeth a towel.

She smiles at me and wraps herself in the towel.

"Thank you Tessa."

I smile and nod.

I'm about to get back in when I feel the presence of someone else.

I turn to see Hayes walking over, his hands stuffed in his pockets.

His eyes meet mine but his expression doesn't change. He continues walking toward me.Laughter and splashing comes from the pool so I can tell nobody's watching.

I begin wringing out my hair when he reaches me.

He leans in next to my ear.

"Can we talk?" He whispers.