Chapter 58-Jai

Jai

I climb in the 4WD and take a seat. This rental is pretty nice and I actually fit. I think it's bigger than Megan's mom's. I adjust the seat and mirrors.  I hear my phone chime and I look to it to see a text from her.

If you're taking the expressway, don't eat at the town just before you get on. I've gotten food poisoning there twice. It's on my no-go list for takeout.

I chuckle and respond. I'm assuming she means freeway.

I'll keep that in mind.

As I wait for the 4WD to heat up, I decide I probably do need some weather appropriate duds and search for someplace to get a couple things. The no-go area comes up first. I pass that since I don't see anything I'm interested in there anyway. There's a shopping center nearer to the hotel so I decide to go there. I set my destination on the map and follow it out. It does take me towards the town she told me not to eat at instead of the backroads she showed me. I'd definitely get lost without guidance through that area though. Plus, the wind was blowing the snow back over on the roads where it'd been cleared. That's crazy.
I back up and get on the main road. I follow it down and see a few questionable looking massage parlors thinking that she's right and this is probably not the best area of town. I continue on and there is some shopping a bit ahead. I see grocery stores, home improvement, banks, fast food, home decor and all sorts of miscellaneous shops I've never heard of. I pass several hotels just before my exit and I'm glad I'm in a more remote area—especially since the food is recommended. Lunch was pretty good. She was right about that chicken chili. It was definitely worth getting—probably the best of that kind I've had. The sanger was excellent and both the hot chips and the hot... chips were good since she let me try hers. I'll have to get the onion rings if we go again because I saw them on another table afterward and was wishing I got those.
I exit and follow the directions on the freeway. My next exit isn't that far down and I'm on some other type of major road. I get off at the first exit to see a nicer shopping center than the last area I was just in. I park by a chain store that I'm at least familiar with, although I've never been there before. I put on my sunnies even though it's freezing out. I go inside and grab a few essentials, definitely some of my own gear for the cold so I don't have to keep taking her dad's stuff. I know she has permission but it does feel strange to have to count on someone else for everything. I realize how kind and welcoming her family is—well, except for the younger brother. But she seemed really shaken up by his behavior, like it was out of character for him. His best mate betrayed him... I can understand that. He said he was sorry and she thinks he's embarrassed for jumping to conclusions... Maybe he thought their breakup had something to do with me. I did just show up at their house and he didn't know what happened. Perhaps, I should try to be mates with him. I'm defo interested in staying as long as I'm welcome. I want to spend time with Megan and even grow closer to her rellies.
I focus on the task at hand and checkout without getting spotted. I make it back to my rental and decide to see what else is in this little shopping center. I drive down the center between the stores and it's decent. It has heaps of stuff if I need anything. There are restaurants. I get to the end and see the pictures here and I smile. It looks like this one is right near her town if it's this close to my hotel. I turn out of the area and put the guidance back on to the hotel. I follow the directions and it's a fairly quick trip. The CBD is a little bigger than what I thought last night. I saw the far side this morning. There are a few restaurants and shops. I see a couple government buildings and I turn at the end of the road. I go down a couple blocks and I'm already seeing historical looking homes. Those look nice. I turn again and I've arrived at my destination. I see the historical hotel and I'm honestly excited about staying there. I notice there's a small car park and pull in. I get out and carry my guitar and carryon inside. I figure I'll make two trips. I enter the front door and I already feel like I've stepped back in time. Most everything is made of wood—the floors, walls, ceiling, staircase. The rug in the main room is maroon and antique in appearance. The light fixtures are either antiques or some impressive newer ones. There's a seated area, a table and chairs, and a fireplace. I'm immediately greeted by the staff who is, in fact, theme dressed. I smile.
"I've got a booking," I say.
"It's really you," the man says in disbelief. "I thought it was just a coincidence with the name."
"It's really me," I chuckle.
"Let's get you settled in," he smiles attempting to be professional but I definitely think he's a fan. I give him my identification and credit card. As he's checking me in, I admire the classic maroon and gold jacket and hat he's wearing. It has large golden buttons on the jacket and epaulettes on the shoulders. I sign the paperwork and offer to sign something for him. He's speechless so I just grab a hotel pamphlet off the desk and sign it for him. He looks touched. He offers to assist with my luggage and I have him handle my carryon. I follow him up a grand staircase. I'm on the top floor—the best room he says. I thank him for that as we arrive on the third floor. He opens the door to the corner room. I step in and I'm surprised that it really is like an old hotel space.
"This is pretty amazing," I tell him in awe.
"There aren't many like this anymore," he agrees. He sets my bag down and I place my guitar beside it. The room is pretty decently sized for the space. It has a large chandelier in the center of the room and I think it's actually high enough that I won't hit my head. There's a massive canopy bed with curtains around the bedposts. The room is mostly red—the bedding, the seating, the chaise lounge... The bed frame is dark wood, so is the wardrobe. The rug is various shades of brown, tan, and red. There are thick red curtains with an antique stylized pattern along the edges. There's actually a fireplace in the room with real wood on the side and I'm in shock that this place is so nice. The fireplace has a comfortable looking seated area that I'm hoping to entertain a guest there soon. There are sconces on either side of the fireplace and also either side of the bed.
I step closer to the windows and I can see the river from here. There's a bridge just down the road and a small forested island in the middle of the river. I'm in complete shock at how nice this little town is and I really wasn't expecting much—my mind has been blown.
"The bathroom is over here," the bellhop tells me. I follow him over and the stark contrast in colors surprises me. The entire bathroom is white—from floor to ceiling. There's a claw foot tub with a shower head attachment. It has an actual shower curtain but it's original looking in appearance. The floor is octagonal white tile with dark grout and the walls are covered to the ceiling in white subway tiles. The sink is a pedestal variety and the dunny looks like the old-fashioned style that you pull a chain and the water comes down from the upper tank. I feel as if I've stepped back like a hundred years or more.
"So, that's everything. You don't have much luggage. Did you have more you need assistance with?" the man offers.
"I would appreciate that, actually. There's more in the car," I tell him.
"Of course," he smiles. We descend the stairs again and he throws on a normal-looking winter coat before helping me with my baggage up the stairs.
"Thanks, mate. I appreciate it," I tell him.
"No worries," he smiles. I tip him and I think he's in shock for a moment. "Thank... thank you, Mr Courtney."
"No worries," I chuckle. His smile brightens and he nods to me before heading out and closing the door. I sit down in my seated area for a moment admiring this amazing room for a bit before I get an itching to see someone.