Chapter 44-Jai

Jai

I try to shake off my experience from earlier at lunch.  I stick close to Megan and speak with the church people.  We sit with Bembe and his family again.  I thank him for his help and tell him I've got a gift for him when I leave.  I've actually written a list of all the blokes who've helped me out here since I don't want to forget them.  I want to be a man of my word. 
Megan and I are the last to leave again since we're grabbing my guitar and case.  "Is something wrong?" she asks me gently as we walk back to the hotel together. 
"No," I whisper. 
"You've been awfully quiet," she says. 
"Sorry.  I've just been feeling... not myself," I explain. 
She slides her hand in mine.  "Do you want to talk about it?" she asks me kindly. 
"I don't know... I just feel kind of strange," I admit. 
"You don't feel sick or something?" she asks worriedly. 
"No.  Nothing like that," I tell her. 
She sighs relieved. 
"Since when?" she inquires. 
"When you were singing," I admit. 
"Was it bad?" she laughs. 
"Never," I tell her meeting her eyes. 
"Did... did you... have an encounter with God?" she asks.  She seems to be attempting to hold it back but she seems really excited. 
"I don't know," I shrug.  "Maybe..." I admit. 
"Do you want to talk about it?" she asks. 
I shake my head. 
"If you ever do, I'll be here for you.  Just let me know.  Okay?" she offers. 
"Alright," I agree.  "So... what do you want to do today?"
"The beach?" she asks.  I nod my assent.  "We could swim with everyone and spend the day there.  They're having another fire tonight.  We could walk around the beach together later if still you want to."
"Sounds like a plan," I say lacing my fingers with hers. 
I take her back to the hotel and we change into casual duds and bathers.  I meet her outside our doors and walk her down toward the beach.  She holds my hand and seems exceedingly joyful.  It's almost infectious and I smile, happy to be here with her. 
We meet some of our group in the water.  I take Megan out further than the shallows with everyone else.  She swims with me.  We mess around laughing and splashing.  She holds onto me and we just play... like kids.  I realize how young she makes me feel, like I'm closer to her age and I realize how much older I am than her.  That doesn't matter, though, does it?  She doesn't seem to mind.  I don't either... so I'm not going to let it get to me. 
"How can you swim so long?" she asks. 
"I'm not a land lover," I tell her.  "I grew up on the ocean."
"Yeah," she says ridding on my back with her arms around me.  Her head is against mine. 
"Do you want to go back in?" I ask. 
"Only if you do.  I'm fine here," she says holding me tighter. 
"We're good," I tell her.  I almost want to turn her around but I don't know how she'd react to that. 
She lets go eventually and swims with me a bit.  We make our way back to shore and I let her rest.  She sits in the shade and I notice her putting lotion on—not baking like the others. 
"No sunbaking for you?" I tease. 
She giggles, "Is that what you call it?"
"You?" I question. 
"Sunbathing, but it is kind of strange, I admit," she says.  "Or suntanning... which is more common and accurate for me anyway."
"No tanning for you?" I ask. 
"Heck no.  I put on sunscreen every time I go outside, even in the winter," she says. 
"Why?" I question. 
"Arthur had skin cancer.  It runs in my family.  He had to have a lot of skin removed from his back," she says.  "But he'd always gone shirtless and never used sunscreen.  Oh, and he'd burn really badly all the time."
I frown. 
"I should be fine as long as I use protection," she tells me waving the tube. 
I sit down beside her in the shade. 
"Do you want some?" she offers. 
"Sure," I say.  She hands me the tube and I put some on.  "This is nice.  It doesn't smell strong or feel bad.  I can't get my back, though."
"Not like me?" she smiles and grasps both of her hands together behind her back—one over her shoulder and the other from below. 
"How do you do that?" I ask her in awe.  I'd probably hurt myself just trying. 
"Long arms run in my family," she shrugs.  "Most long-sleeved shirts look like three quarters on me."
"Huh, that's strange," I comment.  She takes the tube and rubs some on my back.  I close my eyes and sigh at the sensation.  "You could be a masseuse."
She laughs at that.  "I don't think so.  I don't like touching strangers and I don't like them touching me either," she says. 
"What about me?" I question. 
"You're not a stranger," she says smiling down at me. 
"So you'd never get a massage?" I ask. 
"Spencer gave me a gift card to a place like that.  I regifted it," she tells me. 
"Did he ever get to know you?" I ask gently. 
"I don't think so.  He wasn't very nice and usually was just waiting for his turn to speak.  I don't think he ever listened to me," she admits. 
"Yeah, I know the feeling," I agree.  "I always felt like every girlfriend I've had was either too busy with their own careers or just didn't get any deeper understanding.  I don't know if it was disinterest or something else."
"Yeah," she says. 
We sit and talk about anything and everything. We go back to the water for a while—swimming together, in the shallows with the others, and back to the beach. I have her take another picture of us together on the beach and I can't help but notice how each picture has a different pose and look to them. She really pays attention to every detail. Just everything about her is amazing and phenomenal. She goes to great lengths for a simple snapshot and I adore that about her.
We eventually go to dinner and get cleaned up. We join everyone at the beach for another gathering around the fire. Megan sits in front of me and I wrap my arms around her and pull her closer. It would seem that everyone is under the impression that we're dating but Megan tells them all we're just friends. I think she's still heartbroken from her ex and not quite ready so I'll keep waiting. We get up and she keeps her word about walking the beach with me. I follow her in a trance to the water's edge. I can't shake myself out of this daze I'm in—it's as if everything is moving in slow motion, sounds are muddled.  She looks back to me smiling and laughing, reaching for my hand. I take hold of her and enjoy our one on one in this beautiful setting. I have her take another pic before the light's completely gone.