Chapter 45

The next morning Iris woke up to find herself in the hidden sanctuary with Blaze still asleep, but he quickly woke up when she began to get up. "Morning Iris." He said as he too got up from the ground. "Morning." She said back as he hugged her and kissed her head softly. She loved being so close to him, it made her feel like they could be one, it made her feel safe. "What will we do about your brother..." She sighed remembering last nights issues. "Let me worry about that, I don't want you to worry too much." He sighed before becoming more serious and continuing. "But I want you to be very careful around him if he ever approaches you, especially when you are alone. He can be very dangerous and hides his intentions well." He kissed her once more before a sly smile formed on his face and he pushed her into the water. "Hey! That's no fair." She said to him as he laughed. She took advantage of this and pulled him in with her.

Ethel woke up early this morning and went outside to the graves, going to the grave of her little boy. After having Iris grow up so fast she had noticed that flowers grew faster over the grave and they did not seem to stay with the laws of the seasons. Plants would start to grow at night, blooming in the morning and dying again at night, only to be replaced again by another flowering plant. "Morning, why are you up so early again?" Steve asked, giving her a bit of a surprise. She was so deep in thought that she didn't even notice him walking up to her. "Sorry, didn't mean to startle you." He said with a laugh before hugging her. "It's fine." She said before looking back at the grave. "What's wrong?" He asked seeing that something was wrong. "Those flowers are still growing there." She said, her eyes staying on the growing plants. "Come, you have to stop doing this. It's not good for you." He said as he takes her hand and starts to lead her back to the house away from the graves.

Soon after the sun had fully risen, Iris and Blaze had gone back to his pack. The other pack members weren't there, they were still out hunting and running errands in town. They were still walking through the small village before Iris was suddenly on her knees looking down in pain. "Iris, what's wrong!?" Blaze said as he bent down to help her. "My back, it's burning! Blaze it hurts..." She said quickly passing out. He quickly, but carefully picked her up bridal style and rushed her to her parents for help.

Ethel and Steve were just about to go for a run when suddenly there was a knock on the door. They both walked to the front and were surprised at who was standing at the door. "Pierce? Why are you here?" Ethel asked confused as to why he was back here. "Well hello to you too, and to answer your question, I am here to help you." He said as if it was obvious. "Help us with what? Last time I checked you disappeared after helping you a few years back." Steve said becoming a bit protective. "That demon you took out of me. When I left, I took it to destroy it and found out that it had an accomplice. The other demon has control of a wolf, he use to be part of a pack nearby and was banished. I found him in a town a few days walk from here, I've been following him ever since and he seems to be back in this area." Pierce says.
"Help! It's Iris! There's something wrong!" Blaze screams as he approaches the house from the woods, carrying an unconscious Iris in his arms. Ethel is the first one to run towards him, pushing past everyone to see what was wrong with Iris. "What happened?" She says looking at Iris, trying to find any injuries, but not finding any. "I don't know. We were walking back and all of a sudden she was on her knees and on the ground in pain. She said her back was burning and that it hurt before she collapsed." Blaze says a bit panicked and worried. "Come lets get her inside so I can see what's wrong." She says as Steve takes Iris from Blaze and takes her inside to her room with everyone else, except Pierce following. Once Steve had placed her on her bed, Ethel immediately turned her on her side and checked her back. What she found was a rather large tattoo-like scar forming on her back. No one else knew what this was, but Ethel did and she was shocked at what she saw on her back, the mark of the reaped. "What's wrong?" Steve and Blaze asked seeing her distress. "It's not possible! It can't be!" Ethel said in utter disbelief. "What?" Steve asked, now more worried. "He isn't dead..."