Chapter 38

When they finally reached the house everyone was outside. "What's going on?" Ethel asked with Steve on her side as Iris and Lilia reached them and shifted. "Hunters. Dad the one guy said your name. He told the other guy to leave you to him. They're gonna be here in a few minutes to kill everyone!" Iris said worried that they would be here soon. Steve and Ethel looked at each other as they realised who it must be. "Kallen." Was all he said before letting the others follow him inside to get the weapons, leaving Ethel, Iris and Lilia alone outside. "Who's Kallen?" Iris asked her mother, not knowing who he is. "He's your fathers' brother. His human brother. I can tell you more about him later, but right now I think we should all get ready to fight." Ethel said as she looked at Iris and Lilia who both nodded before they started to head inside to help get the weapons and to get some armor on. Armor which they had each made incase of an emergency like this. Iris use to think that everyone was just being very paranoid, but now she knew why. There were people who actually wanted them dead.

Everyone was busy readying their weapons, these were to be used in the beginning of the fight to avoid anyone getting hurt, but they didn't have a lot of bullets or arrows, so they wouldn't last long before they will have to drop their weapons and run into the fight. Iris had finished putting on her armor and had already gathered all her arrows for her longbow and was now waiting on the rooftop as a lookout. Being a hybrid meant that she had really good eyesight and the forest at night was just as easy to see in as it was during the day.

She had been waiting for quite a while before she heard the slight sounds of people sneaking closer to the house, they were coming in from all angles, trapping them in the middle. They would be here soon so Iris blew the dog whistle, something only dogs and supernatural creatures could hear, signaling that they need to be ready now. Everyone took their positions around the house. Iris, Lilia, Ethel and Steve all stood together on the roof. Now they waited in silence listening to the sounds of the men coming closer. As soon as Iris saw the first of the men appear in the woods she immediately fired an arrow straight into his chest, and with that the fight had began. Within minutes they all ran out of weapons to use, but instead of all rushing out and getting shot they let the men come closer to the house. One man stayed back though, and as he looked up he looked directly at Steve, his face full of disgust, hatred and rage. One of the other men opened the door to the house and in one fluid movement Steve shifted and jumped down towards his former brother, Kallen, while the men all rushed into the house as everyone else attacked. Ethel and Lilia were next to shift and they quickly jumped down and ripped a few of the men apart. When Iris shifted she leaped down, only to get attacked by a few of the men. Then all of a sudden they were being ripped off of her by unfamiliar wolves, and among them stood Blaze. "How did you know we were being attacked?" Iris asked him telepathically as they fought off more men. "We heard the shots and I could sense that there was something stressing you." He answered back telepathically.

When Steve landed he began circling Kallen, but he just stood there and Steve became confused when Kallen began to laugh. Kallen had taken advantage of his confusion and attacked, cutting Steve on his back with his knife. Steve though healed almost immediately and jumped, knocking Kallen to the ground. He stood over him and held his paw over Kallens' wrist to keep him from being able to cut him again. "You have one chance, let go of the knife, call your men off and leave me and my family alone!" Steve growled, still in his wolf form. Kallen let go of the knife, before calling what remained of his men off. Steve let him go and shifted back as Iris also shifted back and walked up to her dad to see what his brother looked like. But as she turned away from him she felt a pain in her back, then she was on the ground. Steve ran to her side as Blaze ran straight for Kallen and killed him. The rest of the men took advantage of the situation and escaped. Blaze went to Iris and sat by her side before howling a sad cry up at the sky.