Chapter 28 Date Night

The rest of my Thursday and Friday flew by in what seemed like the blink of an eye. I tried to avoid Andy as much as I could, but I knew he could tell something was off. I just felt like if I spent too much time around him then I would just burst with what I know. The number I was carrying felt like a 50 pound weight in my pocket. We were supposed to go on a date tonight but I needed to find a way to tell him before then, and it just came out like word vomit. I was currently on the kitchen floor scrubbing a spot that had been clean a long time ago while Jazzie played with her stuffed animals at the kitchen table. I swiped a stray piece of hair out of my face as I dropped the sponge back into the bucket standing up. I washed my hands before walking to the fridge to grab Jazzie a snack.

     I set some strawberries down as she smiled up at me. "Thank you Mommy."

     I smiled as I kissed the top of her head before grabbing the bucket to dump down the toilet. I jumped as I stood back up and Andy was standing there studying me. "Hey Andy. What's up?"

     "That's exactly what I've been wondering Jj."

     I did my best to avoid the question, "I-I'm not s-sure what you mean. I need to go finish the kitchen floor."

     I attempted to walk away but he grabbed my wrist making me turn back around. "I know you, and I know when something is wrong. What aren't you telling me?"

     He watched me as I slowly reached into my back pocket and pulled out the piece of paper with Sam's number on it. I slowly extended it out to him and he took it slowly giving me a confused look.

     "It's Sam's number. You should give her a call."

     He looked even more confused, "My ex wife Sam? Why would I do that?"

     "Just trust me Andy. Its important."

     He nodded slowly as he pulled his phone out, "I guess I'll just be in my room then."

     I nodded and gave him a dry smile as he walked away. I checked on Jazzie again before going outside and doing something I hadn't done sense I got pregnant, I went into the back yard to smoke a cigarette. I sighed as I felt the nicotine going threw my system and ran a hand threw my hair. I don't know what he is going to do about this. I want us to move forward together but I'm not sure what a step back like this will do. 

     My head jerked up as a very angry Andy came storming outside, "How long!"

     The question wasn't clear enough, "How long what?"

     "Don't fuck around with me! When did you find out Sam had my child?! Did you guys keep in touch the whole time? Have you lied to me for the whole three almost 4 years?!"

     I hurriedly answered, "Of course not! I found out about it on Thursday. She came into the café and I saw the little boy with her. I haven't known for that long. I was just waiting for the right time to tell you."

     His face was turning red with anger, "The right time? The right time would have been Thursday night when you got home from work! But no, you avoided me for two whole days!"

     I felt a burning in my throat as tears filled my eyes blurring my vision. "I'm sorry Andy, I just didn't know what to say."

     "How about the same thing you said in the bathroom?! I deserved to know right away Jess, not when you deemed it was the right time!"

     "I know Andy its just-"

     "Just what?!" He yelled at me

     "I just.. God I don't know! I didn't want things to change between us again!"

     His face changed to a look of hurt, "And there it is. They didn't have to change. I've always loved you."

     Tears began to stream down my face, "I love you too Andy. I'm so sorry."

     "Sorry isn't enough. You betrayed me. You put your own selfish needs above me and more importantly above my child who is innocent in all of this."

     I stepped forward to grab his hand but was hurt more when he pulled back. "Please give me the chance to fix this."

     He shook his head as I saw unshed tears shine in his eyes, "You cant fix this. The only thing that could make this alright is if you went back in time and told me when you found out, but time machines don't exist."

       He shook his head as he went inside slamming the door. I let out a sob as I heard his car pull out of the driveway. I threw my cigarette that was mostly gone before rubbing the tears off my face and go inside. I was grateful when I saw that Jazzie had fallen asleep on the table and didn't hear any of that. I carefully picked her before bringing her to the room to lay down. I shut the door slowly and pulled out my phone as I walked to the living room. 

     I dialed and listened to the ringing before a breathless voice answered, "Hello?"

     "Hey mom."

     "Jessica! How's it going babe? How's Jazzie?"

     I let out a sob, "Mommy, can I come home?"